SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys , my son has a 98/99 9.3 Vert that I am doing a head gasket on .
Whilst I have the head off I was looking in the area of his steering rack , as he has been saying for awhile that the steering did not feel right and needed correcting a lot .
I had been inclined to think it was just alignment , and that was planned when he needed new tyres , but he (and I ) have also heard the occasional dull knock whilst turning .
I had him loading up the steering tonight with the wheels off the ground, whilst I watched the rack , and it seems that the rack actually moves very marginally , and I suspect the Thud may actually be the RHS of the rack touching at the end. There is not much clearance in that area and the metalwork is actually shaped to fir the rack end . I am talking RHS of the rack whilst sitting in drivers seat ( regardless of where the steering wheel happens to be ) :) I have heard of firewall cracking on the 900's of the mid nineties , but didnt believe this applied in 9-3's , Can that be the issue or is it simply the rubber in the Mounts to the firewall ?
IT also became obvious today whilst looking , that the bushings on the inner tie rods need replacing , Thats a nice easy one , not sure the mounts are so easy ...

Any advise or tips appreciated , thanks Les

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The cracked bulkhead issue did afflict 9-3s, particularly the 'vert because its less rigid. I recall one test is to wrench the steering wheel around with the engine stopped, and watch the pedal box movement, but they all move somewhat and you'd need to know what was normal, as a reference. Hopefully someone will pipe up with instructions on how to see the crack, which I believe is behind the sound proofing near the master cylinder.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Rapid response Doug , That is a worry I thought it was resolved by the time the 9-3 hit , Always thought of it as an NG 900 issue .
The movement is where you describe , at the pedal box below the MC , as you say I would need the soundproofing off to actually see and cracking.

I have a similar model to my sons ( only mine is a 2003 ) so I should be able to get a benchmark on what is normal movement.
His didnt seem that severe to the eye , but it caught my attention , and it would explain the Thud he has heard . I really hope this is not the case , It would probably be the end for this car at its age , It would be an expensive repair I would imagine .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts