SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been giving this too much thought. but i was wondering where i could get the update kit for my B235 becuase i know of the engine sludge problems they have. i'm getting some sea foam soon and i'm gonna be changing the oil soon just to do it. and i was told to put half of the sea foam with the oil change and put the other half in with my gas when i fill up. Just making sure that i would be right with this procedure.
Thanks in advance
-Hunter

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Drop the sump first ormyounrisk completely clogging your oil sump screen as the sea foam dislodges any sludge if there is any on your sump already.

The update kit for the PVC is available many places.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did this procedure not too long ago and I was pleasantly surprised by how little sludge I had. I cleaned out the sump completely before reassembling it, it was like the casserole dish from hell. Make sure to get some Anerobic gasket maker and some steel wool prior to dropping the pan. Also while you're at it you might want to replace the o-ring in from the filler tube in the pan. What made me do this was I was getting the dreaded "oil light flicker" at idle. I think that it was my sender unit because I replaced that as well and i haven't had it since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sludge?

I hear a lot of people talk about sludge problems with their Saabs. Is this really a big issue? When I bought my car from a Saab mechanic he told me two things that must be done, 1) Buy the good gas, 93 octane; Shell, Mobile, etc., not a knock-off station. 2) (and this was repeated until he was sure I would have dreams about him saying it) ONLY use 0W-40 motor oil and change it within a week of it telling you to. I have followed his advise and I have not seen any signs of sludging. What would be a sign, and should I be worried?

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
I hear a lot of people talk about sludge problems with their Saabs. Is this really a big issue? When I bought my car from a Saab mechanic he told me two things that must be done, 1) Buy the good gas, 93 octane; Shell, Mobile, etc., not a knock-off station. 2) (and this was repeated until he was sure I would have dreams about him saying it) ONLY use 0W-40 motor oil and change it within a week of it telling you to. I have followed his advise and I have not seen any signs of sludging. What would be a sign, and should I be worried?
Good advice; low ash 0w40 oil is essential I use Mobil 1. Top tier gasoline, also essential. Driving cycle: the worst cycle is 1 to 2 miles runs per day to and from work. You really need to get the oil up to temperature and that takes a decent run, even 10 miles is hardly enough time. Lots of idling is also bad news, kinda like taxi service , regarded in the industry as a servere service test.

early saabs 2000 to 000?4 maybe appear to have had pcv issues but other folks here can advise you on this, I know nothing of early cars, mine is an 07 and its excellent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts