SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
SAAB 900S 1992
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to change oil on my 92 900S LPT, with 400 000 km/250 000 miles on clock...
PO used 10W-40 semi-synthetic oil.
But I found that recommended oil is 5W-30..
Im not sure what oil I should use - semi-synth/full-synth, what viscosity, since I found more opinions on different websites/forums.

Thanks for your advice :)

?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I use Mobil1 10W-30 and change it every 10,000 miles, which for me is once every 2 years. My 92 turbo doesn't use a drop of oil.

·
Registered
SAAB 900S 1992
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks.
I drove saab 1300 km home from the dealer, and it didn't use oil, so I hope it'll not use oil. ?
if I choose 10W-40 full synthetic it will be ok for that mileage to switch from semi-synth to full-synth?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
it
Finally I choosed LIQUI MOLY SUPER LEICHLAUF 10W40. Hope it is a good choice.
I beleive that is fully synthetic , and thats a good choice , a better choice would be sticking with 10w30 , maybe something to do consider when next due a change 10w30 , its not a big variance , eVther either, tomatoe tomarto . Job done :)

·
Registered
12,786 Posts
At SAAB Turbocharger school they told us that viscosity extending additives reduce motor oil's resistance to heat and coking, and that's why they liked 10w-30.
This may no longer be the case for synthetic oils, I don't know.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
I think that's generally considered true. The polymers that are needed to make wide-range motor oils reduce the effectiveness of the oil itself. Surely a synthetic oil would have a leg up on a conventional oil at the same range, but a 10w-30 oil is gonna be better than the same type of oil in a 0w-50 or whatever.

Super Leichlauf 10W40 is a great oil - way more than an old B202 LPT needs, but it certainly won't hurt. I use that in my common rail diesel Jeep!

·
Registered
SAAB 900S 1992
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the way home from a dealer, the SAAB was little overheatin when we pushed him to 160kmh. But drove us home safely as expected.. its a very lovely car and great community here. Next oil change ll be with 10w30 ??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts