SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving on highway, engine just stopped all of a sudden. Pulled to the side; cranks but wont start. After waiting about a half hour, cranks and idles very very rough, a lot of loud/sharp metallic clunking and shaking and then cuts out again, I have observed for several weeks some of the same sounds and shaking in a much lesser way, but never stalled out or stopped running.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Metallic clunking sounds serious. Broken timing chain comes to mind. Pull the valve cover and have a look. Or crank it with the distributor cap off and see if the rotor is turning. If it's the chain it sounds like the damage is already done.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
a lot of loud/sharp metallic clunking and shaking and then cuts out again, I have observed for several weeks some of the same sounds and shaking
hmm - drain the oil - look for metal bits suspended in it. Check the timing chain. Check to make sure your starter isn't stuck on while the car is running (happened to my son on an '88 900 because his ignition switch got gummed up from spilled soda). What you describe sounds an awful lot like what he had.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Metallic clunking sounds serious. Broken timing chain comes to mind. Pull the valve cover and have a look. Or crank it with the distributor cap off and see if the rotor is turning. If it's the chain it sounds like the damage is already done.
Would it idle even roughly with a broken timing chain?

·
Registered
888 Posts
a lot of loud/sharp metallic clunking and shaking and then cuts out again, I have observed for several weeks some of the same sounds and shaking in a much lesser way, but never stalled out or stopped running.
and you carried on driving it! :eek: :nono;

...and now you wonder why it died! :roll:

Dan.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Would it idle even roughly with a broken timing chain?
It wouldn't even run with a broken timing chain.

I call worn out timing chain that skipped time. Pistons met valves, you can fill in the rest. *sad trombone*

If by some magical means it skipped the other way (go figure), the valve timing would still be off, and that metallic sound you're hearing would be the timing chain slapping around.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
... idles very very rough, a lot of loud/sharp metallic clunking and shaking and then cuts out again, I have observed for several weeks some of the same sounds and shaking in a much lesser way, but never stalled out or stopped running.
That's usually just an Exhaust system clanking and rattling.
Start by looking at the plugs and checking Fuel Pressure.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts

I call worn out timing chain that skipped time. Pistons met valves, you can fill in the rest. *sad trombone*

If by some magical means it skipped the other way (go figure), the valve timing would still be off, and that metallic sound you're hearing would be the timing chain slapping around.
While that would suck, thankfully our engines are non-interference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
While that would suck, thankfully our engines are non-interference.
Well there's a definite plus to owning a C900.
Sorry, I'm used to every engine I see being an interference.

Then you're in luck, pop the cover, swap the chain, set the time, and happy motoring.:D

·
Registered
7,033 Posts

It always kills me that we have non interference engines with a chain while new hunks a junk of interference engines with a timing rubber band.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
ooh you might be correct. I was only thinking of our good solid reliable and torquey 8 valves...still to be improved upon by any new fangled technologies.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that disturbing sound is coming from the flywheel side of the motor, not the front.
got to wait until my day off to fully trouble shoot the basics (spark,fuel etc)

·
Registered
47 Posts
that disturbing sound is coming from the flywheel side of the motor, not the front.
got to wait until my day off to fully trouble shoot the basics (spark,fuel etc)
Then it's entirely possible that you starter may be sticking on.
Does the engine sound like it's having difficulty revving?

But if it just stalled during highway driving, I'm still sticking with my sloppy chain skipping time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont know what the starter would have to do while driving, I've had bad fuel pumps in the past, but not in the way this happened, although it was very similar to driving a car with little gas in the tank and you make a sharp turn and have no throttle response until the fuel swishes back to the pump. maybe its just a bad pump.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts