SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a car registered on 14th August 1992 need to have a cat fitted for the MoT? When I bought my T16S last year it had had the cat replaced with a length of straight pipe so when I changed the exhaust recently I fitted a system without a cat and I'm now wondering if it's going to be a straight fail on emissions.

·
Registered
694 Posts
You should get away with it with a 1992 car IIRC, they were required by law from Jan '93 Google tells me. I looked up for my car once (93) but it was just past the date.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's what I thought *until* I started Googling and came up with something about a 'cat' test applicable to cars registered after 1st August 1992 and originally fitted with a cat which started getting confusing in the extreme.

If it needs a cat I'll fit one but I think I'm just going to put it in for the test and see what happens.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
nuclear_jimbo said:
Does a car registered on 14th August 1992 need to have a cat fitted for the MoT? When I bought my T16S last year it had had the cat replaced with a length of straight pipe so when I changed the exhaust recently I fitted a system without a cat and I'm now wondering if it's going to be a straight fail on emissions.
Yes... UNLESS...

The requirement for a cat to be fitted came in for all UK cars first registered from 1st Aug '92 - start of K-reg. BUT some manufacturers lobbied for an extension because they didn't have catted engines available for some cars. As a result, _SOME_ K-reg cars can get away without - but they'd all be cars which never had cats. Usual story with used imports, in that it goes on the first-reg date in the country of origin.

Meanwhile, here in the real world, I'd just take it in for the test and see what they said... It'll almost certainly come up on the MOT db as being a cat car, though, and need to pass cat emissions levels. Possible, but probably tricky.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts