SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I mate of mine owns a garage in Buckie (3 miles from me) and he kindly opened it today so I could get my car in for an MOT. He did it himself obviously as no other mechanics were in. Heres the results:

Reasons for MOT Fail certificate:
N/S Rear brake caliper siezed (Not touching drum)

Advisories:
O/S Front wheel bearing (Excessive wear).
Radiator Cradle (Corroded)

Cost me a total of £130. £110 for the test and £20 for the new caliper and fitting.

I'm pretty happy. Thats it for another year! Just have the '91 Ford Scorpio on the 6th of March... I'm sure it won't pass as well!

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes he did. I also asked him to check all the belts and fluids (brake fluid, power steering fluid, clutch fluid) so he added a wee bit to the price for that.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and another advisory was the front brake disks are VERY rusty and quite scored. the rear drums are also very rusty and EXTREMELY scored.

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The N/S brake drum is more scored than the O/F because at one point the caliper was constantly putting the shoe in contact with the drum. The owner tried to fix it but ended up creating the opposite problem of the caliper not touching the drum at all.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Your posts really confuse me.

We dont have brake drums ............. calipers dont touch drums.................. and the calipers have pads not shoes..........

We have discs front and rear and the rears always corrode like mad.

However we do have an inner drum on the back which is for the tiny handbrake shoes ONLY (they never seem to wear), and unless the drums were removed you wouldnt even know what was going on in there.......

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Chris, your last suggestion made this thread go quiet very quickly. You can even hear the breeze through the trees at the top of a certain 90 degree hill...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Indeedy :cheesy:

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Smeg - I don't mean to be rude but shut the hell up. You must be extremely boring if you don't know about exaggeration!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the drum, what pushes the shoe onto the drum. Probably not called a caliper. They had a young person doing work experience there. I guess he typed the reciept up :lol:

Typical! Ha Ha.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Loved the album though reminded me of my old scalextric set :p

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Maybe............ a bit........

But your air filter really is under the car!

·
Registered
124 Posts
@Smeg - I don't mean to be rude but shut the hell up. You must be extremely boring if you don't know about exaggeration!
You need to chill out and learn how to take some good natured ribbing.

"And that's all I have to say about that" - Forrest Gump

1 - 20 of 34 Posts