SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car's just failed it's MOT but only on a couple of points so it's not too bad.

One was a corroded brakehose between the chassis and the rear axle which I was quoted £50 to do. Sound about right? I'm not too happy about doing brake work myself.

The other is that my drivers door cannot be opened from the outside. When you remove the exterior handle it is the bit the handle 'hooks' onto that has sheered off at the bolt.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get at the mechanism in order to try and repair the part, I can take all the door cards off and the handle but can't remove the necessary parts. I would need to try and get a piece from a donor car presumably.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Door

I think the only real way you going to be able to access it is with the window & regulator out of the door otherwise there will be too many obstructions.

It only takes 20-30 mins to remove the reg/window, and it's pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Brakes

On the brake hose cost I guess it all depends on what the normal hourly labour rate is. A brake hose would be under a tenner to the trade (even a Saab one I think is around that figure). Fitting time by someone who knows what they are doing and assuming that the corrosion is not too bad should be around half an hour from start to stop easy. Obviously if the corrosion is widespread making the pipe difficult (if not impossible) to remove then the time and parts required will increase.

If you have not had the fluid changed in the last few years it may be worth giving them £80 and asking them to change the pipe both sides and renew the fluid whilst they are at it. If one pipe is an MOT failure then the other one will not be far away unless it has already been renewed.

Changing a rusty brake hose is not a particuarly pleasant job and the chances are you will snap the bleed nipple off when trying to bleed it. Don't ask me how I know. Best leave this problem to the professionals. Just do make sure that they haven't snapped the nipple of and tried to hide it. Your brakes will still work but not as they should.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts