SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey my 1998 93 just failed it mot 2day on the emitions not understanding why when i have just put a new abbott full exhaust system on it (the racing cat aswell) the lambda is fine any ideas ???

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Just some thoughts [ long-shots ] but if it is new on has the ECU adapted? Also the race cat may well require a lambda sensor in better condition [assuming you've left the factory item on and it will be past its best].

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Did you get a printout of emissions - where did it fail - HC or CO? The 'race' cat is very much biased to flow over emission control so everything else has to be in tip top shape. Is your lambda new? what about the plug gaps ? - is the oil fresh and the air filter clean? - all these things add up. Definatley worth pulling the ECU fuse and leaving it for an hour to reset.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i have a new set of plugs i going to put in 2moz oil is fresh .i am sure the ecu is 'set' but i will pull the fuse to try and get it to reset.. hope my 900 dont fail tomorrow >.<

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
TheGodSon93 said:
i have a new set of plugs i going to put in 2moz oil is fresh .i am sure the ecu is 'set' but i will pull the fuse to try and get it to reset.. home my 900 dont fail tomorrow >.<
NO. Don't reset the ECU, you'll need an adaptation run after that or the car will run crappy and make it fail again!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i wont.i just going to change the plugs and check airfilter again then send it in but if it fails cuz o them again its off rd no buck to sort it at the moment lol:cry:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Adaptation runs are mainly to set the max boost which is not going to be on the MOT testers list. Reseting the ECU will clear and adaptive trim that was used with your previous harware setup. However as the kind of test that the MOT requires is going to be when the engine is running closed loop i.e under lambda control it's probably not going to help that much. Is it there any CEL light?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shirozina said:
Adaptation runs are mainly to set the max boost which is not going to be on the MOT testers list. Reseting the ECU will clear and adaptive trim that was used with your previous harware setup. However as the kind of test that the MOT requires is going to be when the engine is running closed loop i.e under lambda control it's probably not going to help that much. Is it there any CEL light?
by CEL light u mean engine check light nope there is not but i did put out a thread the otha week about me driving along and the car wanting to die and the check engine light came on then i switched it off and bk on and it ran fine with the light on then when i took off vac lines and made sure everything was ok and put them bk on it went out had no probs since...l.

the mot tester said it is something with the ecu that is casueing this not to pass the emitions and that was the 1st thing that poped into my head was what happened the other week...

every1 saying to get tech2 on it but i cant afford it at the moment its lyk 150 quid to get it done and i dont have the cash, so plugs n that is what it is getting as i have all that anyway pure b um :(

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
What were the emission's test parameters? There is a standard fast idle test but if it fails they can re-set everything and as long as the oil temp is good and the idle is correct you can be passed with higher emissions. O2 reading must be correct though regardless.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
how do you know it has any thing to do with the Abbott exhaust? 02 sensors do go bad, they naturally loose there sensitivity over time so this could be a good place to start

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
We still need to know what part of the emissions it failed on - CO and it's likely an O2 sensor going bad but if it's HC it's likely you are burning oil from leaky turbo seals - not helped by the reduction in back pressure from the big exhaust.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i thought it was the abbott exhaust as i had no problems before i put it on anyway i love it and its staying... from what the guy said its the co level that is to high i have bought a new 02 sencor anyway and got new plugs etc so going to put all that onto the car on thursday/friday when the o2 sencor arrives....

still think it has something to do with that power fail that i had any takers on that to ???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.