SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listen... I'm mad I know, but the 2000 9-3 I recently 'fell into' I'm falling in love with... (Remember, I said I'm MAD didn't I?)
Here's the thing... I'm a bike restorer, Velocettes, BSAs, classic Suzukis etc. Inside-out Ground-up restos. Been doing it for 40 years, but now I'm running out of strength for bikes, and I'm feeling like a classic Saab might feed the addiction.
My 9-3 is very nice, but maybe it's a bit too new. I'm after opinions of what I might look for re: older classic Saabs. Something what, pre-1990? 1980?
What are the DESIRABLE models?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
My first was a 1987 900 Turbo. It was about 10 years and real beat up. I worked and restored it and learned an awful lot about turbos, fuel injection, knock sensors, etc., etc. I came from late 60's and very early '70s American Muscle cars.

Anyhow, all that aside, I'd go for an '87 to '93 900 Turbo. Some parts may be scarce, but their out there. Just my opinion remember.

Did you ever restore a 3 cylinder 2 stroke '70s Suzuki? RD400 came along but I still think the Suzuki is the original Death Bike.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My first was a 1987 900 Turbo. It was about 10 years and real beat up. I worked and restored it and learned an awful lot about turbos, fuel injection, knock sensors, etc., etc. I came from late 60's and very early '70s American Muscle cars.

Anyhow, all that aside, I'd go for an '87 to '93 900 Turbo. Some parts may be scarce, but their out there. Just my opinion remember.

Did you ever restore a 3 cylinder 2 stroke '70s Suzuki? RD400 came along but I still think the Suzuki is the original Death Bike.
I miss the 900's I used to have 😢

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Obviously a Saab 93 is the Saabiest Saab there could be, but good luck finding them.

An 850 Monte Carlo would be next on the list. Hi-po 2-stroke? Yes please.

I'd lump Sonetts in with a 99 Combi - both big moments for Saab but maybe not special enough in their own right to be on the list. And which Sonett? 2-stroke or V4?

A 99 Turbo must be on the list, as it was a huge moment for Saab and a huge moment for automobiles in general. Mass produced reliable turbocharged passenger car? Key.

I'd make a good case for the '85 900T, being the first mass produced 4v/cyl turbo car, but the '86 is a better car and the last year of the snub nosed front end. If I was choosing any Saab, this might be it. It was the definition of "modern Saab" IMO.

I'd also make a good case for either the '88 SPG, being the SPG that most people think of as the slope-nosed front end was made for five years vs. the two years of the snub-nosed. Yes, there was an '87 but the '88 brought better brakes and more power and a more refined interior. I'd buy into a '90 SPG as well since it added more power, ABS and SRS and improved NVH characteristics, but I really think it's gotta be the '88.

Maybe unpopular, but I'd call attention to the '91 9000T as well. It was bonkers at the time, a "proto Aero." A two-year only 5-door sedan that embarrassed a lot of "better" cars. Plus, it was totally out of left field. The previous 9000s were very practical, but a bit frumpy. Then the '91 showed up with 225hp and big wheels. It was crazy!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
So do I. The next was a 9-5 Wagon. I'll explain later. I need to help the boss around the house.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yes LEP, done plenty of stuff like that. It was the Kawasaki 3 cylinder 2 banger that earned the nickname 'Widow-maker' courtesy of a ratbag powerful engine having a freaky powerband and a lousy frame. My mate rides one, though he was clued up enough to buy the later KH 400 model which was more civilised and a more 'together' machine. The 3 cyl 750 Suzuki was a much more civilised thing, water-cooled, more of a touring bike.
I run a Suzuki GT500, which is a good 'un, a big, torquey air-cooled 2 stroke twin. I've done a few Yamaha RZs, -very cool, fast bikes courtesy of the Powervalve system.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Having owned 99s and 900s, I've grown to love my NG900. IMO, it's build quality is better than the earlier models. Owned a 9-5 for years, prefer older model Saabs. A thing to consider is if you need a shop to work on your car, Saab shops are becoming rare. My experience is import shops more likely to work on transverse mounted engine Saabs vs backwards engine Saabs.

About your bikes, I wrenched on many BSAs and Triumphs in the 70s. My fav was a 1970 Bonneville. Knew a guy who had the Suzuki - 2 wheel version of Christine...

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
About your bikes, I wrenched on many BSAs and Triumphs in the 70s. My fav was a 1970 Bonneville. Knew a guy who had the Suzuki - 2 wheel version of Christine...
Love the two wheel version of Christine. My 2001 Saab 9-3 Viggen will be a drop top death trap when I am done with it next year, hopefully.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't get the 'Christine' thing, can someone enlighten me? Oooh I remember Christine Keeler (yep, I'm THAT old!) but anyway. Do love my 2000 93 but... It would be SO nice to have a Saab that doesn't fill me with fear and trepidation!

·
Registered
129 Posts
"Christine", book by Stephen King, later a movie. A homicidal car, supernaturally possessed, with a will of its own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts