SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
SAAB 95 2004 Linear Wagon
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the last month or so i am getting significant exhaust smoke when first starting the car (it used to only be when the car had not been used for a few days, and was a small puff of oil smoke from the turbo).

i dont have any smoke on driving or acceleration/deceleration. and when the car has been parked at work during the day and then started in the evening it is fine as well

from reading other forum posters comments with similar symptoms, it would seem to indicate the seals on the turbo are worn and i need to replace it (or have it reconditioned)

how long can i safely drive it like this ?
and does my significant increase recently in morning smoke indicate the whole turbo is about to fail ?
is there a real risk the turbo will suddenly completely fail, and will this cause further dame to the engine ?

·
Registered
490 Posts
It may not be the turbo. Valve stem seals also get old and leak oil into the combustion chambers. You can pull the spark plugs on a cold engine and check for oil in the cylinders. Checking the turbo is a little more involved but not too hard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts