SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the ranges of wheels offsets that can be used with a 9-5 are. I know that right around +40 is preffered but what is the min and the max?
Also, I remember hearing that with special bolts non-5x110 patterns can be used. What patterns can be used and what are the bolts called?

Joe

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Offset should be between 40 and 49. I've got wheels with a PCD of 5x108, with special bolts called "wobble" or "offset" bolts. I was very dubious about these bolts and e:mailed the manufacturer, they said they've sold in excess of 100,000 bolts and never had a broken/returned bolt. To be fair to them i've had no problems either. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wheels

What is the range of bolt patterns that can be used with offsets of +40 to +49 with the wobble bolts? Where do you buy these "wobble" bolts? Will this affect alignment and will i need wheel spacers to keep from rubbing on the calipers?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
You can't go any further than 2mm either side of Saab specs, so you can use 5x108 or 5x112 PCD's. My bolts were supplied by the alloy wheel suppliers, i threw the box they came in away, so can't remember the manufacturer i'm afraid. No alignment was needed, its the offset that dictates whether you need spacers or not. My rims were the min 40 offset so no spacers were needed. Anything less than a 40 offset will rub on the arches.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi, i think ive bent the saab rules slightly as my current wheels dont have an et number on them, but when i fitted them, i did a quick measurement of the offset and compared it to my previous aero wheels which were 49 offset, and i think the mating surface was about 14mm further from the outside edge of wheel than the aero wheels which would make them about a 35 offset :eek: :D but no rubbing or bad wear problems so far, and they sit beautifully on my car.

I tell you what, i willl double chek the measurement on sunday.

But i should also add that im running on 215 45 17 tyres, and these give the following effects :-

Im only doing about 98.6 mph at a speedo reading of 100mph - no problem to me
That means that i also slightly increase my fuel consumption, but do i ? see below
I probably reduce my acceleration times by 1.5% - every little counts;)
These tyres also lower my car by 9 or 10mm - this may counter any fuel deficit by improving aerodynamics slightly and maybe help roadholding very slight.
With regard to kermits point of the minimum 40 offset, i think i realise why mine are not being arched, the 215s are 10mm less wide than the 225s, which is 5mm on each side. This 5mm on the outside essentially equates my 35 offset with 215 tyre to a 40 offset with 225 tyre.

Hope you like these declarations and they are open for critiques

1 - 5 of 5 Posts