SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More problems with my car. This one, however is my fault. I drove over a speed bump that I didn't see. You can probably guess the rest.

So, I'm wondering whether it is possible to repair a damaged, leaking oil pan? Is it made of aluminium or cast iron?

I reckon it is better to get a new one if I have to take it off, but if I can repair it without removing, I would consider doing that instead to save some money. Damn, a new pan probably costs over $500 plus labour in Norway.

On the brighter side, an oil change was due anyway......

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
You might have bent the pan and created a gap between the pan and block. You can find a new pan at a junkyard, but putting it in is a pain....

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I got mine welded in situ - previous owners garage had over-tightened the plug. It wasn't easy what with a seemingly endless drip-drip oil supply from the top of the engine. I bet you have more damage than just a small crack though :cry:

Someone here got the pan off by just loosening the subframe and not actually having to remove it.

Pans are, however, cheap at the scrapper (£50). Oh, they are aluminium.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you are right on saying they are aluminium. About the leak, I can see the scratch where the oil leaks. I hope there isn't additional damage!

By the way, I am somewhat surprised that there isn't a towing eye or something that can take the hit when something like this happends. I can't be the first one to experience this.

I guess all pans on the two litre are identical? I'll do a ring around tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
You can get a sump guard/brace.

That's set me off on one:- Dukes of Hazzard Yeeeee-Haaaaa! Rosco.....Kyuk! Kyuk! "I think something bounced up into my undercarriage" Daisy Duke.

·
Registered
179 Posts
largo77 said:
I reckon it is better to get a new one if I have to take it off, but if I can repair it without removing, I would consider doing that instead to save some money. Damn, a new pan probably costs over $500 plus labour in Norway.
Bah...quit your griping. Everyone knows that Norway has the highest per capita income per year in the world.

Leak is that bad? I have an oil pan leak, but I am going the next five years just putting in extra oil and that will still be cheaper than the quote I got to fix it.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yes they can be repaired. Whip the pan off, and flatten the meeting edge to the block as best as you can, and then manufacture your own templated gasket with several thicknesses of the special paper. It is bound to have been deformed.

Do not use sealant of any kind. For if any breaks away in the future, oil galleries may be blocked leading to terminal damage. Welding the scratch seems a good option, but a good scrappy replacement a less time consuming shot.

HTH

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sha_kri said:
Bah...quit your griping. Everyone knows that Norway has the highest per capita income per year in the world.
Thank you for those encouraging words. $1200 is just pocket change for a guy like me......not.

Yes, the shop estimated it to be that costly, albeit if I can find a pan at the car dump, I might get away a little bit easier.

Swedish readers may feel free to give me a hint as to where I can find a Saab shop near Strömstad, and how much it will cost me.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
hunt.dogshome said:
You can get a sump guard/brace.

That's set me off on one:- Dukes of Hazzard Yeeeee-Haaaaa! Rosco.....Kyuk! Kyuk! "I think something bounced up into my undercarriage" Daisy Duke.
You guys know about Dukes of Hazzard over there ;oops: ?

Um, we're not all like that, really. Although it is fun to hop in through the open window from time to time.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yeah we had the Dukes of Hazzard! We were lucky enough to have a chat with 'Cooter' in Nashville last month, as he opened one of his shops. The General Lee parked outside looked fab.

HTH

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ebay item 7995060626 may fit your car, but don't know if you have a v4. (I can't copy/paste here for some reason) You will probably have to pay extra to get the seller to ship out of country though. 30USD is a great price!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! It says it will fit the 2L engine, but it might prove difficult to get it to Norway. I'll check it out and see if it's possible. I'd happily pay twice that price for P&P, it will still be an outright bargain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts