SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... Here is my story....noticed that my car (engine is a 3.0 turbo v6) was smoking on start up and losing power...changed spark plugs.....and identified the turbo needed to be rebuilt after the GUMP of oil in my IC pipes.....car ran great....parked it.....tore the front end out, pulled turbo, rebuilt it and then installed it again and double checked everything.

When i started the car for the first time, it would crank ...then stall.....then i finally got it running after a few attempts...

next...the motor started vibrating like i was mis-firing....so of course it threw CEL lights.....pulled codes P1300 (DTC definition not found) then P0300...then P0705 wich i cleared them all....restarted and now only get the P1300 and P0300....

(car is idle when doing this, when rev up...somewhat clears the misfire...also has a hard time cranking and sounds like a valve knock...which it ran great before i started this project)

Did i miss something maybe when reinstalling the turbo?

Things I checked....

DIC...both of them, then checked all the wires...then cleaned connectors...then double checked the turbo again....

then slammed the door and cussed a few times.....

Now im on here lol....... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also checked vac lines .....nothing...im gonna lose my mind....

·
Registered
519 Posts
You 90% have a bad DIC those are random misfire codes. One of your DICs (maybe both which is why it is not cylinder specific) is misfiring enough that the computer can't tell which cylinder it is as it is happening "randomly" and the computer relies on consistent messaging to throw a specific code. The reason it "suddenly" went bad was because you changed the plugs. It appears to be very common that when the plugs are changed the DIC goes. Maybe resistance goes up and DIC frys...no idea, but it is very common if you search on here.

You need to figure out which one is bad. I have a spare used one if you want to buy it. Get a good DIC, swap the front one out and see if it runs better if not, put the original back in and take the good one and swap it to the back....

without a specific code for a specific cylinder misfire it is a PITA to tell which DIC is bad on these V6s...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if its not the DIC what else cold it be? Im lost...it wont even start now, just keeps winding over and fires intermittently.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We tested them today according to the WIS.....I think its the CPS as there is no tach on crank at all ....and very hard to start...if it starts at all..

·
Registered
519 Posts
Don't know what the WIS procedure is. Would be great if you could share it. I was under the impression the only way to test was with a Tech II.....

Can't hurt to replace the CPS. It is a wear item anyway....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To test the DIC it shows to take what looks like jumper cables with 3 heads....and 1 for ground take each one and hook to the thread of the spark plug on the DIC with it out of the car and ground it, then crank over the car for spark.

Basically what we did was took it out, grounded it with the spark plugs in it and watched for fire. Both did not fire on the v6 but randomly fired them each perfectly. Which the CPS will tell the car not to fire if faulty.

·
Registered
519 Posts
hmmmm. need to leave this to others with more expertise, but even though you are getting spark at the DIC it may not mean it is functioning correctly and properly firing the spark plugs...

someone else needs to comment on that...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts