SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MORE AND WORSE SHAKING UNDER LOAD. HALF AXEL WORN BUT FEELS LIKE MOTOR MOUNTS. CAN I REINFORCE THEM W/ HARD RUBBER SEALANT FOR A QUICK CHEAP TEMP FIX? LOW ON FUNDS AT MOMENT AND SHIMMY GETTING WORSE ON ACCELERATION. NOT COASTING

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Shaking under load is likely going to be axles or some other part of the drivetrain. Worn motor mounts typically only cause a vibration during idle or a clunk under acceleration. Once they're fully compressed by the drivetrain shifting, they won't get worse or better.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
I agree. I've never known worn motor mounts to cause shaking under load. I had a slightly damaged CV axle that caused some pretty bad vibrations under load. These days it's cheaper to just replace the whole thing with a rebuilt one. Most any auto parts store can get you one for around $50.

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
18,374 Posts
Usual causes of load vibration are a bad companion shaft, bad carrier bearing, or bad tranny bushings. Where is the play in your half-axle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am getting a new one on the passenger side (half shaft axel). Its pretty loose under the boot. But the way it shakes under load feels like broken mounts as its never consistant except on rough roads and there isnt any noise really like clinking. The motor moves alot in drive and reverse with foot on the brake, however the motor was just replaced a year ago. I am thinking they used the original mounts or some real crappy ones with the new motor install. So I found a link about rebuilding/strengthening the mounts with hi temp rtv rubberized silicone sealant. That is what I intend on trying. My son just tried it on one on his ford and said it made a world of difference. From what I am reading this type of vibration.shimmy is common with the older 9-3 models. Does anybody out there have any old motor mounts they want to be rid of for my attempted rebuild??? On my budget right now I could NEVER afford to buy original Saab mounts new. And what do you forum members have to say about this idea?? All responses will be greatly appreciated. I have always done all of my own mechanical work myself throughout my 45 years of owning god knows how many different vehicles, so I am not a totally ignorant female just trying stupid stuff.. I hope...... but I have my own lingo Im pretty sure lol.. I just could never afford shop rates while raising my 4 sons on my own lol. I am a busy one indeed lol.
Thanks,
Denise.
02 9-3 SE vert

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Plenty of folks reinforce motor mounts with rubber or poly. I've never had a reason to on a 9-3 as the mounts are pretty cheap (~$180 gets you all three) and replacing them every 100,000 miles or so doesn't seem like a big ask. If you wanna try it, you've got nothing to lose except a little time.

·
Registered
18,374 Posts
To cut your costs, I would try to just replace only the mount(s) that are bad. The rear mount is hydraulic (filled with oil). When it goes bad, you will typically see oil on the outside of the mount (although if it's oily and dirty under there, it might be hard to tell). The tranny mounts can be visually checked with a minimal work. I'm sure there's a thread or two around here on that with photos - but if you can't find one, someone here can help with what to look for. Corteco is the OEM manufacturer for the rear mount at about $100 (look around). I don't know about the left side tranny mount. The right side one is out of production and the only choice seems to be Pro-parts...which we all despise, it's cheap. It's also inexpensive.

As for filling with urethane, some guys have filled NEW mounts with poly compounds to stiffen them, but I don't think it would work with a collapsed one. The left side tranny mount is the only one that I can see that working with although it might be possible to fill the rear mount if it was completely drained of oil already. You'd have to get the weight off it by suspending the engine from above with a bar or jacking from below to remove any load on the mount.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts