SaabCentral Forums banner

341 - 360 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
those are not the gm-specific mongoose cables (in fact they are listed specifically as VAG) and will likely not work.

that's the proper cable at least (gm2) but i'd be concerned about authenticity... there are clones floating around out there.

i was not able to get tech2 access on my '99 93. it seems the mongoose is really for CANBUS cars. however, i did not spend a lot of time troubleshooting as i lent the car to a friend.

hth
ken
Thanks for the information.
I got to get the TECH 2 knock off and just experiment with the 99 93 and see if it would work also with 91 GMC.

Regards,
Khalid

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had already placed an order for the china tech 2, when I came across this thread and cancelled the order, still waiting on a refund :(.

Anyway my cable should arrive tomorrow. Running windows 10 here.

I intend to try getting it to work on here. I'm curious why you need so many different things to get tech2win to actually work.

I do have some reverse engineering skills. Having worked my magic on other tuning software, where you must spend $100 per car, I have unlimited. Hoping to work my magic on tech2win, making it more of a standalone software.

If there's things the mongoose can't handle, but the knock off tech2 can. I'll likely end up ordering one of those as well. With the tuning I do, I don't wanna have to carry the tech2 in my back pack if I really can get away with just another cable.

Just a heads up. Too late for me of course, But you can get a mongoose cable for $450 or so from tunertools.com using TTRETURNCUSTOMER as a promo code.

That should help people out greatly.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had already placed an order for the china tech 2, when I came across this thread and cancelled the order, still waiting on a refund :(.

Anyway my cable should arrive tomorrow. Running windows 10 here.

I intend to try getting it to work on here. I'm curious why you need so many different things to get tech2win to actually work.

I do have some reverse engineering skills. Having worked my magic on other tuning software, where you must spend $100 per car, I have unlimited. Hoping to work my magic on tech2win, making it more of a standalone software.

If there's things the mongoose can't handle, but the knock off tech2 can. I'll likely end up ordering one of those as well. With the tuning I do, I don't wanna have to carry the tech2 in my back pack if I really can get away with just another cable.

Just a heads up. Too late for me of course, But you can get a mongoose cable for $450 or so from tunertools.com using TTRETURNCUSTOMER as a promo code.

That should help people out greatly.
It's great to see a modder/hacker in the community!

The only problems I had with Tech2Win were trying to run it under a VM (see below) or Windows 10 (not sure why, and it's been so long that I can't remember what was going wrong). The program (and the Mongoose cable itself) also doesn't support older protocols so it will only work with the newer cars, e.g. the 9-5 doesn't work at all but the 9-3SS does. I contacted DrewTech directly and that's what they told me.

Once you get the software running, it can do anything that the normal Tech2 can. Every so often, Tech2Win freezes while I'm trying to use it and has to be killed with task manager, but that's rare. The Tech2Win licensing check is already cracked and all that's needed is GlobalTIS to gain security access for the particular car you're working on (if you're adding modules).

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's great to see a modder/hacker in the community!

The only problems I had with Tech2Win were trying to run it under a VM (see below) or Windows 10 (not sure why, and it's been so long that I can't remember what was going wrong). The program (and the Mongoose cable itself) also doesn't support older protocols so it will only work with the newer cars, e.g. the 9-5 doesn't work at all but the 9-3SS does. I contacted DrewTech directly and that's what they told me.

Once you get the software running, it can do anything that the normal Tech2 can. Every so often, Tech2Win freezes while I'm trying to use it and has to be killed with task manager, but that's rare. The Tech2Win licensing check is already cracked and all that's needed is GlobalTIS to gain security access for the particular car you're working on (if you're adding modules).
Well I had a couple hours to play with it today,

Couldn't get my VM box to recognize the Mongoose Cable, even with updating it and adding the usb extensions kit and trying 2.0 and 3.0.

I have xp sp3 on there with Global Tis, 42 day tech2win and the mongoose drivers all installed.

With that said, I did get tech2win to work on windows 10 64.

However I'm not able to get communication with the bcm so I can diable the theft alarm or pretty much do anything.

This is on a 2003 Saab 9/3 9440. I tried it on two of Saabs.

Best I could do is read a/c pressure lol.

But really I hope this is just an issue with windows 10. I can't get any of my current laptops to downgrade to Xp. So my only other resort would be to buy an old laptop.

Which creates a problem for me, I don't wanna have to lug 2 laptops around.. Ever.

On a more positive yet confusing note, it worked fine on the two trucks I tested, 2002 Silverado and 2003.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gonna be getting a vintage Dell D610, to see if it makes any difference.

Hopefully it's not a waste of money and I can use it with a tech2 clone, incase I wanna buy one of those as well. Since it does have the serial port and people claim the card reader/ writer can write the cards needed.

Global Tis seems to work fine with Windows 10 and IE, but it says type 1. Not sure if that's the level you'd want.

·
Registered
811 Posts
That's the problem I was having - I couldn't communicate with certain nodules on the car when using Windows 7. I could never figure out why, but IMO getting an XP machine is the best and simplest solution.

I like the Dell D620/D630 because they're a bit more future proof (dual core CPU and SATA hard drive, rather than the old IDE drives in the 610) but the 610 will work fine. Not sure about the flash card writing as I've never tried that, but I've read that the program can be made to work with other laptops by editing the shortcut.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
That's the problem I was having - I couldn't communicate with certain nodules on the car when using Windows 7. I could never figure out why, but IMO getting an XP machine is the best and simplest solution.

I like the Dell D620/D630 because they're a bit more future proof (dual core CPU and SATA hard drive, rather than the old IDE drives in the 610) but the 610 will work fine. Not sure about the flash card writing as I've never tried that, but I've read that the program can be made to work with other laptops by editing the shortcut.
Works on all 3............
https://www.tech2wiki.com/doku.php?id=wiki:writing_pcmcia_cards_using_memory_card_explorer

·
Registered
36 Posts

After seeing this post, I opted to spend $20 more for the D630. In total $70 and $5 in gas.

So I'm into this so far for $557. Came with a computer case, and the cable stores in the pocket next to laptop.

An after reinstalling everything on to it. It actually worked flawlessly on both of my Saab's.

So I ordered a battery for $13 as this one lasts about 20 minutes.

Next will be a $50 ssd.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ordered 4 gb memory upgrade for $24 and a 250 gb evo 850ssd.

While I know some of you are still using the other version of tech2win and using opel to make it work.

I'm curious, would it be useful crack that version of tech2win. So you can get away with not using the opel activator?

How many people are using the older method.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ordered 4 gb memory upgrade for $24 and a 250 gb evo 850ssd.

While I know some of you are still using the other version of tech2win and using opel to make it work.

I'm curious, would it be useful crack that version of tech2win. So you can get away with not using the opel activator?

How many people are using the older method.
i'm no longer using the older opel method, but the VM that i built for opel globaltis is waiting just in case. not having to boot up the VM every time i want to just USE tech2win is a massive relief.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a bit torn here - I've got a TechII clone that works fine for everything except SPS and I would like to be able to do SPS on modern SAABs.

For my 9-3, the Mongoose should work fine, but I can't find any confirmation of if it also works for newer 9-5:s.

Also, looking at the software thread, cracks for T2W seems to be missing and my google karma doesn't allow me to find it - is there a working crack for it out there somewhere?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Tech2 doesn't work with 9-5ng.
Mongoose should work fine as GM MDI though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought Mangoose pro and it works perfect with my saab 9-3 MY05. Works Tech2Win, Globaltis SPS, Tech2win works with no errors. I can add and remove modules, adjust all available options, programming keys, read dtc. SPS from globaltis works with no issues but i coudn't connect only with my ehu (i think it's my ehu problem). To get it working you must have saab Nao 9.250 bin file and proper tech2win version. You can make it work in to ways because there is problem with license renewal. First way is to install normal version of tech2win e.g. 256 and install Opel Globaltis v32b (becasue Saab global tis do not renew license) but you cannot have two globaltis installed in one machine. Opel global tis do not grant security access for saab so You can still install saab tis2000 which do it. The second way is to install cracked version of tech2win and saab globaltis. good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi.
I'm getting the following error that someone in this thread previously got and fixed it with newer drivers for the mongoose. I am getting the same error. I tried multiple drivers. I tried my stand alone dell d630 running xp, and vmware. However I get the same error: vcilib.c 1124 1
Any help?
This is on a 2003 9-3

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi.
I'm getting the following error that someone in this thread previously got and fixed it with newer drivers for the mongoose. I am getting the same error. I tried multiple drivers. I tried my stand alone dell d630 running xp, and vmware. However I get the same error: vcilib.c 1124 1
Any help?
This is on a 2003 9-3

Use tech2win from the download link on this forum, and run it on Win XP on bare metal. Don't use any virtualization software.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, I finally bit the bullet and bought a Mongoose. Been toying with the software setup here and one thing confuses me - is everyone just running the NAO software or are people running the 148 SAAB bin?

With the NAO bin, I can get the Tech2Win to load up and find my Mongoose without issues but it refuses to download or run a real 148 SAAB bin.

341 - 360 of 380 Posts