SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a momo shift knob. I was just wondering if anybody had experience with these knobs and if they fit well on the saab shifter. I read on some threads that aftermarket knobs make the shifter real high.
Also is it real hard to shorten the shifter yourself. I would like to have a shorter shifter but I don't really feel like paying $200 for a short shifter. I saw a link to a diy short shifter page but the link is broken. It'd be nice if someone could give me the link that works

Walter

·
Registered
772 Posts
There are 2 types of short shifters

1- the expensive version that Jorgen Eriksson developed that raises the pivot point so the throws are shorted & the shifter keeps the same heigth

2- DIY type where people cut the shaft to make the knob several inches lower. I have used this before & I do not like the way it feels at all. You keep the crappy sloppy feel of the OEM shifter except it's now just in a awkward position!

with the momo shift knob, I tried a few & never liked them. I could never get them to mount properly & due to that it raised the heigth of the knob. Also due to how the shifter is made it's really hard to make the aftermarket shift knob not move at all.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I went through a whole bunch of non saab shift knobs and not one of them wanted to stay put. After a few weeks or so they come loose no matter how many plastic fillers you pack it with.

If you really want to use a non saab shift knob I think the best thing to do is get one of the saab black rubber ones and cut off the rubber so all you're left with is the shaft and then try and fit that shaft to your new shift knob.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts