SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've been researching different methods of increasing throttle response and decreasing turbo lag and increasing pull, mostly in the lower to mid rev range. What would you guys recommend that I do?

1. GS Airintake
Pros- I hear it allows the engine to breathe better and allow better for faster throttle response, and it induces a bad assed sound!!
Cons- I hear it increases the air temp thus decreasing the HP by a few percent.

2. 3" Down pipe
Pros- heard nothing but great things about it, increasing spool up time?

3. MBC+A
Pros- will increase boost PSI and reduce turbo spool lag, so I've been told.
cons- I'm afraid that the gear box will not tolerate the increase in power in 1st and 2nd gear shifts, and afraid of my fuel system running rich.

So please tell me which one to do and why, and I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Price isn't an issue, I just want the best for my Saab.

Thanks

·
Registered
917 Posts
An open air intake sounds nice, but doesn't do much for performance. Modding the airbox pipe to 3" provides the same amount of power for much less $$ (but since you say price isn't an issue, go for the intake...the turbo spooling sounds cool :cool:). If you want sound, buy the downpipe and GS sport exhaust--great sound and a power boost as well.

The MBC+A is pretty much exactly what you're looking for. Greatly decreases lag and increases boost in lower gears. I don't think any of your cons for it apply--I've heard nothing but great things about it.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Open air intakes may actualy make things worse - the stock airbox and intake have been specialy sized to reduce lag and maximise off boost/low boost power. Any form of MBC will make the turbo spool faster - do a search on the options on this forum. Bigger downpipe will also help as it increases the pressure differential across the turbo ( which is what drives it) and so will a better IC. ECU upgrade will also have quicker spoolup. If price isn't an issue - all of them together will be the best way!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
goorackerelite said:
2. 3" Down pipe
Pros- heard nothing but great things about it, increasing spool up time?

3. MBC+A
Pros- will increase boost PSI and reduce turbo spool lag, so I've been told.
cons- I'm afraid that the gear box will not tolerate the increase in power in 1st and 2nd gear shifts, and afraid of my fuel system running rich.
Do numbers 2 and 3 with a bigger intercooler.

Save money for handling bits after this:cheesy:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 5 speed manual tranny. Unless I keep my revs above 3,000 and on edge the whole time, I feel like I'm gonna get run over in traffic due to the lack of low end torque. So I really would like to get some more power deep down in the 1500 to 3500 range especially in second gear.

thanks for the responses, I'm gonna get the MBC+A and the down pipe with the steering clamp and brace and then install the konis :) already have the 22mm rear ARB. I think this'll happen at the time frame of one mod per month, I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have the intake, nothing but cool noise(but it is very cool noise) I also have a 3inch downpipe with free flowing exhaust, an MBC+A, and a viggen intercooler. I exhaust rapped my manifold and downpipe. All of these things increased boost response. I get boost at around 2K and full boost about 2500rpm's I would say. But that isn't fully accurate because it is hard to floor the car watch two gauges and the road at the same time:cheesy: I think that is about right though.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I think all of these are good mods, I personally have all of them (with the exception of the MBC, I have an SMBC). The open air really wont give you all that much, but I do still stand behind it as a semi- usfull part. The other 2 are very worthwhile. I recomend them highly.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Have you put the rap on the manifold and DP 9-3sleeper? It really seems to help a little and the underhood temps go way down!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
goorackerelite said:
I have a 5 speed manual tranny. Unless I keep my revs above 3,000 and on edge the whole time, I feel like I'm gonna get run over in traffic due to the lack of low end torque. So I really would like to get some more power deep down in the 1500 to 3500 range especially in second gear.
I thought saabs had most of their torque at 2000-3000 over 200ft/lbs, never once did i thought it didnt have enough torque espically when i spun the tires in first through third in the rain. Let the turbo wind out when you accellerate mbc will greatly helps this.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Yes - something is not right if you don't have power till 3krpm. Sounds like something needs fixing rather than modding. Have you checked your base boost recently?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Corn Cob said:
Have you put the rap on the manifold and DP 9-3sleeper? It really seems to help a little and the underhood temps go way down!
No not yet, I'll probably wrap the dp (even though Nick T. told me specifically not too :confused: ), over thanksgiving, but as for the manifold goes the shape doesn't really allow for a proper wrap. That and the last time I went to remove it, I quit because I didn't have the time to do all the work that went into it. Do you know if there is a quick way to take out the manifold?

·
Registered
933 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
No not yet, I'll probably wrap the dp (even though Nick T. told me specifically not too :confused:), over thanksgiving, but as for the manifold goes the shape doesn't really allow for a proper wrap. That and the last time I went to remove it, I quit because I didn't have the time to do all the work that went into it. Do you know if there is a quick way to take out the manifold?
You do not need to remove the manifold. It takes some time but you can make it look very nice, and I think most of the heat reduction under the hood is from the manifold being rapped.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shirozina said:
Yes - something is not right if you don't have power till 3krpm. Sounds like something needs fixing rather than modding. Have you checked your base boost recently?
Could it be because I have 17" rims on the car? I would prolly get more innertia to the wheels if they were a little lighter. Hmm snows comming and I'm gonna change my wheels, so I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Big heavy rims certainly slow acceleration and braking response but they shouldn't shift power up that much - I had 18" and it didn't do that. What is your base boost - if it's too low due to a weak spring in the actuator or it's been improperly adjusted - it will tend to slow spoolup. 3.5 turns from the WG arm peg just sliding over the actuator arm hole is where it should be.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Unsprung weight is a huge factor in throttle response. I've had 4 sets of tires/wheels in the last year ranging in weight from 20lbs per wheel/tire to 39lbs per wheel/tire. The lightest set I have are my 18" prime 150s that weigh in at 15lbs per wheel. The heaviest were borbet 17" LS that were installed for roughly 4 months.

I despise heavy wheels and will only run them for winter setups.

You probably should replace your DIC and plugs. My DIC tested 'good' but when I installed my new one it made my Viggen much faster.

Rogo

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
goorackerelite said:
Unless I keep my revs above 3,000 and on edge the whole time, I feel like I'm gonna get run over in traffic due to the lack of low end torque.
Number 1 would be a downpipe, then a manual boost controller. Since you have a manual, find an ecu out of a 99 9-3 hot, 8th letter of the vin "P". Thats a good junkard score of 15 extra HP or so. Its a good idea to include a viggen IC too.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Tweek's Turbos said:
Number 1 would be a downpipe, then a manual boost controller. Since you have a manual, find an ecu out of a 99 9-3 hot, 8th letter of the vin "P". Thats a good junkard score of 15 extra HP or so. Its a good idea to include a viggen IC too.
Can I do the same with my Automatic 9-3?:p

·
Registered
553 Posts
So just by adding the ECU out of the HOT model 9-3 I can gain about 15 HP? Nice......

I have wanted to do the turbo and IC from that same model, but I never knew about the ECU trick... Thanks!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts