SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a Saab 900s...its pretty nice..but one thing missing...the turbo! What are some mods to do to it to give it more oomph? I really need help, and you all will probably be like, look back, use search...but I need help now. I need to smoke, or keep up with, a Eagle Talon TSI AWD, and a Saab 900 w/a turbo. So, what are some mods I can do to beef this engine just a squirt. Please dont tell me to sell the 900s and get a turbo, cuz this is the only Saab I can find here...I really need to beat this kid if possible in a race, cuz he bought the car I wanted...so, thanks everyone in advance!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Nitrous. I hate to say it, but as far as power-adders go on a naturally aspirated engine, this is often the biggest bang/buck when you only need to win ONE race.

Thanks to the fact that the only non-turbo internal parts in your engine are the pistons (the rods are from the 2.0T and the crank the 2.3T) your engine should handle a fair amount of nitrous without blowing itself to pieces. :lol: But it's still wise not to over-do it.

As soon as you want to win more than one without refilling anything more than gas, look into custom fabricated/tuned headers, better flowing mufflers, intake pipes, and headwork.

And then when you really get serious ...

A TEC3 engine management system from Electromotive combined with a fully built 230 bhp stageII engine from www.peaco.com could make you able to beat many many turbo cars. Unfortunately you'll pay about $8,000 for all that.

And ... despite the non-turbo nay-sayers, a 230 bhp naturally aspirated Saab might actually be able to match a slightly more powerfull turbo model as it would have zero turbo-lag. On a twisty track, with identical suspension, the non-turbo would be as quick as turbo models with much more horsepower. The only problem is cost and the time involved with a full engine rebuild. D'oh!

Sooo ...

If all you want is enough juice to win ONE race ... buy a nitrous kit and take a risk. Otherwise ... hope the other driver sucks. ;)

Adrian~

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Snowsk5054 said:
Please dont tell me to sell the 900s and get a turbo, cuz this is the only Saab I can find here...
:eek:
Where are you looking?!?! VT?!? New England has almost more Saabs then NE Ohio has. If you can't find a turbo Saab up there, my friend, you simply aren't looking hard enough. BUT IT SHOULDN'T BE HARD! Saabs are quite popular up there.
It is going to cost you a ton of money to add a measly 35HP. That's what you need to be in the turbo's ballpark.
-Complete bigger exhaust
-High perf air filter
-3" intake
-new larger downpipe
This is a grand right there and that's doing the work yourself.
...and the stock turbo would still beat you, although not by as much.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
buy a totalled Saab 9000 2.3 fpt [that still runs] this will provide you with much of what you need, there's still some work to do on the inlet though as the 9000 has a slightly better inlet route that you cannot use.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
the kid bought the saab or the talon that you wanted?Nos, thats the only thing....but perosnally, i would just let it go if i were you, living well is the best revenge, so have fun in other ways.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
cpenning623 said:
living well is the best revenge, so have fun in other ways.
There's something to be said about this, you can actually be quite smug with your purchase; spend a little time and money on sharp handling and it'll such a blast to drive you won't care about the Talon anymore.

·
Registered
804 Posts
CleveSaab said:
-new larger downpipe
Since when do non-turbos have "downpipes"? :lol:

You guys diss on naturally aspirated engines too much. In any weather over 85*F (which is common here) the 91 octane gas we get in cali was so limiting to the turbo models that my 92 non-turbo was faster than my 89 turbo. In cool weather, it was a totally different ball game, but you get the point. ;)

A naturally aspirated engine can be made very very fast if you're willing to put the work into it. Yes, it takes more effort. But, trust me, a high revving 230 bhp naturally aspirated engine is every bit as much fun as a high boosting 230 bhp turbo one.

Besides that, Saabs don't have a whole lot of traction in a straight line. Most of the turbo owners can't put down all their extra horses until 60+ mph anyway. :lol:

I would love to see someone really build up a N/A Saab. Didn't Abbott get like 300 bhp from their N/A racecar? That much power would seriously dent the ego of 9/10 turbo owners on this board, myself included.

Adrian~

·
Registered
283 Posts
Bud, I live about an hour away from you and there are literally HUNDREDS of used turbo Saabs around us for sale. You quite simply aren't looking.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
New England has the highest per-capita Saab ownership of any region in the US. You are within a two-hour drive of hundreds of cars for sale.....

Your N/A has no chance of competing against those cars in a straight line, although as Adrian said, you might have a slight chance on twisties. (The lag issue is negated by downshifting and keeping the turbo car over 3,000 RPMs through those corners)

Nitrous is doable but really risky, as said before.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
your car WILL NOT keep up with them in either turns or straight lines.... sell it and get a turbo one.. there are hundreds of them out here

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, there are quite a few Saabs around here, but honestly, the only things I find are pieces of ****s....they either have alot of rust or no engine or something is always wrong. I live in the middle of nowhere. I had to travel a half hour just to see this car. And thats not counting the countless car places I stopped at to look. Trust me, here in east *******, there are no Saabs. Just rusty ol F-150s and Ford Rangers. There are 8 people in my school that have Saabs, 2 of them are turbos, the other 6 are all non turbos....that should be telling you something....and the ones that are turbos, one is a piece of ****..I mean, rust everywhere, the color of the car is almost rust, and the other is a 2002 9-3....which the kids parents bought him...so there are hardly any turbos here...I just want a pretty fast Saab that would keep up with most cars, with a few "adjustments". Trust me, any car is a upgrade from my Ford Ranger....:cheesy:

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
What's your price range?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just looking to see whats out there...cant spend a crap load....just wanna see what parts are the best bang for your buck. Also, looking for some basic bolt on performance upgrades, example: intake, exhaust, etc. Also, I didnt want to really get a turbo. My friend that has the 900 turbo, well, his turbo took a crap on him not too long ago. Now he hasta take it out. I could smoke his car now I bet, I mean, its a 2.0L and without a turbo, its helpless....turbos are what, 50hp gains? If you have a car that has about that much horse, without a turbo, in my opinion, thats a better car....

Just really looking around for what I can get and see what is the best, what everyone thinks is the best, then compromise and get what I think is the best....

Again guys, thanks for the help

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Adrian, my turbo is pulling just fine (I've finally decided) in 100 degree heat. Several recent encounters have confirmed that.:cheesy:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Don't be afraid of a little traveling. Find one on the net, have it checked out by a mechanic, then fly/bus to get it. 4th of july weekend I drove my new car 1600 miles from DC to Denver.

Make an adventure out of it.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
I drove 4 or 5 hours from Shreveport to Houston to check mine out while bidding on it on eBay. eBay...there's an idea!

Of course, as far as mechanical soundness goes, I was so addicted to the turbo after my test drive that I failed to notice the positive battery cable was about .5 strands from snapping and leaving me on the side of a Houston freeway in the rain...How fortunate a National Tire and Battery was a short hop away.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Snowsk5054 said:
Just looking to see whats out there...cant spend a crap load....just wanna see what parts are the best bang for your buck. Also, looking for some basic bolt on performance upgrades, example: intake, exhaust, etc.
Performance gains are minimal with these on a n/a. Maybe 10 hp, if you did the intake and exhaust. Maybe 10-20 more if you ported the head and intake and exhaust manifolds. What would most help your driving experience -- for the least money -- is the rear antisway bar.

Also, I didnt want to really get a turbo. My friend that has the 900 turbo, well, his turbo took a crap on him not too long ago. Now he hasta take it out. I could smoke his car now I bet, I mean, its a 2.0L and without a turbo, its helpless....turbos are what, 50hp gains? If you have a car that has about that much horse, without a turbo, in my opinion, thats a better car....
You can replace a turbo in an afternoon. Seriously. And now he has a bona fide reason to put in a bigger turbo, which he can find for short money, say, maybe $350.

Just really looking around for what I can get and see what is the best, what everyone thinks is the best, then compromise and get what I think is the best....Again guys, thanks for the help
If you want a car that is safe, is a decent highway cruiser, and has good looking Euro style, then the 900s will definitely suit your needs. But you can't reasonably expect this car to blow the doors off your friends at stoplights. It just won't happen. It's not designed to do that. Period. End of story.

You can find a reasonably priced NG900 or 9000 for under $3,500. A 91 9000 turbo is a total sleeper, is usually very cheap, and has INCREDIBLE modding potential.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all that stuff! Yeah, I know I wont get alot of horsepower gains and stuff from a exhaust and a intake...idk, I have heard so many things about intakes, but never tried one myself, so thats why I am never sure on them. My friend I think put a intake on a Celica and my other friend drive it and he was like, whoa...a turbo, no thats the intake...idk if I believe him, cuz he is dumb when it comes to cars...so, not sure at all on anything...I think I am just gonna go with the 900s, without the turbo. You dont need a really fast car to be a really fast driver...I have a ford ranger, I can keep up with some people, depending...but if I have this Saab, I will definately keep up with more people...I mean, my truck, theres a huge hill here, and my truck only gets like 65 up it, and all my other friends can get like 80 or so, because there cars are just better. My truck has a exhaust leak, oil leak, and is about to **** the bed...so I think I am gonna stick with the 900s...anything I should look out for when looking at the 900s? Also, is the 2.3L engine reliable? Honestly, I dont really want another car I hafta keep throwing money into, cuz my Ranger is a money hole, and it pisses me off...and I heard rumors that Saabs break down alot...so is that true?

Again guys...thanks alot for your help, its been a great help....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts