SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,


I live in WI, I'm just starting to mod my '99 SAAB 9-3 5 door 5 speed.



I just installed the MBC+A, since my stock control valve has been out for at least a year. Recently I raced a Dodge Neon and barely won......so I knew something was wrong. I didn't really notice before that because the valve must have went out right around the time I bought it.......and being sort of a n00b when it comes to that stuff didn't help. I just remembered the torque steering that didn't exist anymore. I'm really looking to change that......and since I got my turbo working.......I'm addicted. My eyes have been opened.



My question is: Are there certain mods I should avoid because of the WI climate?



Also, what mods are really worth doing? I'm getting conflicting info after reading tons of threads. BOV? Cold air intake? Some say stock is fine, some say modify till you die? What to do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts
It all depends on how bad the mod bug grabbed you, if you just want a bit more power thats one thing, but if you're in it for the real stuff, thats entirely different.

A new BOV (blow off valve) wont give you any more power, it can maybe hold boost for a td bit longer, which is important when you start upping boost, but other than that they are just for the sound.

An open air intake wont give you all that much power either, but I'm partial to them because they do open the intake up more than if it were stock, which is neccessary if you plan on going really crazy with power. They alos make the car sound amazing and give it a distinct look under the hood.


Real power will be gained by opening up the exhaust, and helping the turbo breath better, and of course re-mapping the ECU.

Im guessing you have the stock dual pass intercooler, which is not worth a damn if you start modding you vehicle. Your stock turbo isn't all that great either (unless you have a TD04).

By now I've probably just thrown all kinds of info at you and I apologize, but the point I'm stressing is that we need to know your goals. After that there will be plenty of people willing to give you advice on mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
Yeah, it really is based on your goals and how much money you want to spend, but as far as the climate goes, theres nothing to worry about modding wise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
Im guessing you have the stock dual pass intercooler, which is not worth a damn if you start modding you vehicle. Your stock turbo isn't all that great either (unless you have a TD04).

By now I've probably just thrown all kinds of info at you and I apologize, but the point I'm stressing is that we need to know your goals. After that there will be plenty of people willing to give you advice on mods.
To know if you have the "Viggen" IC, look at the 8th place of your VIN number, if its a "P" then you have the Hight Output Turbo SE version of the 99 9-3 and you will have the slightly better than the crap IC that came on all the other T5 turbos.

You do not have the TD04.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts
I didn't think the 99's came with the td04 but I wasn't sure.

Since he doesn't, that might be something to change right off the bat. If it's within your price range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
9-3sleeper said:
It all depends on how bad the mod bug grabbed you, if you just want a bit more power thats one thing, but if you're in it for the real stuff, thats entirely different.
A new BOV (blow off valve) wont give you any more power, it can maybe hold boost for a td bit longer, which is important when you start upping boost, but other than that they are just for the sound.
An open air intake wont give you all that much power either, but I'm partial to them because they do open the intake up more than if it were stock, which is neccessary if you plan on going really crazy with power. They alos make the car sound amazing and give it a distinct look under the hood.
Real power will be gained by opening up the exhaust, and helping the turbo breath better, and of course re-mapping the ECU.
Im guessing you have the stock dual pass intercooler, which is not worth a damn if you start modding you vehicle. Your stock turbo isn't all that great either (unless you have a TD04).
By now I've probably just thrown all kinds of info at you and I apologize, but the point I'm stressing is that we need to know your goals. After that there will be plenty of people willing to give you advice on mods.
Well, I'm not looking to go completely crazy, because I still need my car to be reliable and practical to drive to work and things. On the other hand I'm looking to get as much power and speed as I can without totally overhauling everything under the hood.

I actually understand everything you said......I've been researching for the last month or two........I had my finger on the buy button on a Forge BOV.
The one thing I don't get is the benifits of the BOV and the Piston Diverter?

The other thing I get hung up on is the contradicting opinions here....example: some say the stock air box is perfectly fine unless you're really flexing a large muscle under the hood?

Sadly, I just bought a new rear muffler last year so spending the cash for a new catback isn't that appealing at this exact moment. Although, I'm very interested in do it after my current system rusts out. salt.

So overall, I would say I'm a mid grade modder?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,140 Posts
A few quick answers:

You can use any type of BOV because you have Trionic 5 engine management. Browse through some of the stickies at the top of the forum to see what that entails, and the difference between a BOV (blow off valve) and a diverter or bypass valve.

A BOV is primarily for sound...until you start seriously upgrading the turbo.


The stock airbox is fine, but will benefit from a simple, low-cost mod to a 3" inlet (That's one of the most common early mods.)

good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
JoshuaTSP,

I have the same car as you, also running an MBC+A. One thing I noticed was tuning the MBC during warm weather may result in a fuel cut in colder temps but this is simply adjusted as needed. The MBC+A will make a big difference as you noticed.

I am also running a K&N airfilter using the standard airbox. Standard airbox should be good up to 300 bhp or more. You can do the 3" airbox duct mod if you want to free that up but I don't think it is needed until big power. Some say the K&N lets too many particulates through but I feel it does make a slight difference, maybe just the induction sound though.

I uprated my front rotors to GS slotted rotors with Akebono 9-5 low dust pads. Great mod. This became an obvious need when pushing the MBC limits and old rotors were originals.

Next potential steps for me:
- GS v2 DP
- Koni adjustables
- Rear ARB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jaws said:
JoshuaTSP,
I have the same car as you, also running an MBC+A. One thing I noticed was tuning the MBC during warm weather may result in a fuel cut in colder temps but this is simply adjusted as needed. The MBC+A will make a big difference as you noticed.
I am also running a K&N airfilter using the standard airbox. Standard airbox should be good up to 300 bhp or more. You can do the 3" airbox duct mod if you want to free that up but I don't think it is needed until big power. Some say the K&N lets too many particulates through but I feel it does make a slight difference, maybe just the induction sound though.
I uprated my front rotors to GS slotted rotors with Akebono 9-5 low dust pads. Great mod. This became an obvious need when pushing the MBC limits and old rotors were originals.
Next potential steps for me:
- GS v2 DP
- Koni adjustables
- Rear ARB
I noticed a HUGE difference because my BPC was bad. So no turbo to FULL turbo makes me almost cry. :cheesy:

I considered the drop in filter because I'm not sure I want to hear everything with a CAI/BOV/etc.............I put one on my 1989 Cavalier back in college.......:lol: ;oops: I love the sounds I've heard posted here, but I don't want to be annoying the neighbors or attracting racers. I mostly just like speeding alone and scaring my g/f.

I'm definitely going for the upgraded rotors and pads since mine are warped.
I'd also like to change the bushings since I live in a cold weather area. The sqwaking is real annoying. That job seems like it's pretty hard though.:(

So I guess I'm not only looking for a little more power, but a more efficient car in general.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
JoshuaTSP said:
I noticed a HUGE difference because my BPC was bad. So no turbo to FULL turbo makes me almost cry. :cheesy:

I considered the drop in filter because I'm not sure I want to hear everything with a CAI/BOV/etc.............I put one on my 1989 Cavalier back in college.......:lol: ;oops: I love the sounds I've heard posted here, but I don't want to be annoying the neighbors or attracting racers. I mostly just like speeding alone and scaring my g/f.

I'm definitely going for the upgraded rotors and pads since mine are warped.
I'd also like to change the bushings since I live in a cold weather area. The sqwaking is real annoying. That job seems like it's pretty hard though.:(

So I guess I'm not only looking for a little more power, but a more efficient car in general.
Hey Josh,

If you want to drive a perfectly reliable stage 4 tuned by Jak Stoll, I'm in Wausau. If you're close and need a hand with any of the work let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bigsky said:
Hey Josh,
If you want to drive a perfectly reliable stage 4 tuned by Jak Stoll, I'm in Wausau. If you're close and need a hand with any of the work let me know.
:eek:

So you've done almost everything that you can to that thing huh?

I will definately let you know if I have any problems in the future.......

....I've been seeing a lot of SAABs around Wausau lately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
There are a few Saabs around Wausau. There used to be a nice 93SS rolling around, but it turned out to have nothing more than exhaust, wheels and some appearance mods.

As far as my car goes, I am at the outer limits of the stock turbo and fuel system. I have a new turbo & fuel system upgrade planned for spring. I bought a junkyard td04 to build an 18T turbo only to decide that if I was going to the expense of a larger turbo that I would to a 3071. So, for now my car will drive as is through the winter.

Are you from Wausau?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bigsky said:
There are a few Saabs around Wausau. There used to be a nice 93SS rolling around, but it turned out to have nothing more than exhaust, wheels and some appearance mods.

As far as my car goes, I am at the outer limits of the stock turbo and fuel system. I have a new turbo & fuel system upgrade planned for spring. I bought a junkyard td04 to build an 18T turbo only to decide that if I was going to the expense of a larger turbo that I would to a 3071. So, for now my car will drive as is through the winter.

Are you from Wausau?
Seems like most people's SAABs are stock (mine), and I've never seen one go fast (not mine). :roll:

I bet your car can really fly as is though.:cool:

Originally no, I'm from Stevens Point, but I do own a home in Wausau, and work in Weston. Thus my lack of cash for any real expensive mods. ;oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
I lived in Stevens Point for 7 years, and graduated from there with a BA in 2000. I have been in Wausau for about 5 years now. There is one other 93 in town that looks a lot like mine with exhaust, I'm not sure what else. You're right though, there aren't many fast Saabs up here...that's what made the car appealing to me in the first place.

I actually get better gas mileage with my tune from Jak than I did prior to modifying the car. I pull up to 37mpg hwy in the spring/fall when I'm not blasting the air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bigsky said:
I lived in Stevens Point for 7 years, and graduated from there with a BA in 2000. I have been in Wausau for about 5 years now. There is one other 93 in town that looks a lot like mine with exhaust, I'm not sure what else. You're right though, there aren't many fast Saabs up here...that's what made the car appealing to me in the first place.
I actually get better gas mileage with my tune from Jak than I did prior to modifying the car. I pull up to 37mpg hwy in the spring/fall when I'm not blasting the air.
I'm a little younger then since I graduated from HS in 2000.

yeah, I see the newer SAABs more since Kocourek started carrying them. I love the look of them. I also see a lot of the older style 9-3s.......I know there's two of them riding around town in the same color as me. Although I think I'm the only one with three spoke stock rims.

WOW! 37! I'm only getting 29-30.......:eek:

Maybe I'll HAVE to modify my car now, and we can go destroy some of the local ricers....lol. :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
u didnt race a normal neon lol....it was an srt-4 neon...they are quick....especially after they stage their cars lol....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
screamingreen97 said:
u didnt race a normal neon lol....it was an srt-4 neon...they are quick....especially after they stage their cars lol....
Yes, yes I did.......a plain old rusty ghetto WI abused neon. I wish I could have said I barely beat out a souped up neon.

I didn't have turbo at the time.......:cry:.....that's how fate has lead me here....:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Wow that's bad, Neons are not fast...unless of course its an SRT-4. I know my car is faster that the '07 WRX's, which are apparently not so quick from a roll at 60mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,901 Posts
One thing I will say is that you can still have a very powerful car that maintains practicality. My 9-3 has the majority of the suspension mods one can install, and the necessary hardware for a stg. 4 Nordic tune, plus a few other little trinkets here and there. The only thing I need now is the stg 4 software, but even with all that, I really have no difference in comfort or practicality than before I modded her out. The only noticeable difference is the sound, which could be quieted if I wanted to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bigsky said:
Wow that's bad, Neons are not fast...unless of course its an SRT-4. I know my car is faster that the '07 WRX's, which are apparently not so quick from a roll at 60mph.
Well, that's when I knew my turbo wasn't boosting past base boost. ;oops:

A guy at my work has a brand new WRX........it's pretty fast. Sadly he put some sort of 4" muffler on it. :roll:
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top