SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
What the heck is that?? Never saw that before. I would guess you need to repalce the key shank, you will need to be sure that you can get a blank and that the dealer can cut it for you.

Why not go for the all in one key and be sure it will work???

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
They had that key in the 98 model 9-5's.

You can get it in your car if you buy a blank, have it cut to match your current keys, and then get the key "married" to your car via Tech2.

I believe the reason they discontinued those keys was because it was very easy for a passenger to nudge them on the center console, and turn off the car while driving.

I would personally love to have the new (02+ I think) style key with the alarm buttons directly on the key, instead of this enormous boat key that I have on my 99. Unfortunately when I ordered my spare key, the stealership told me that it wouldn't work, and that I HAD to have the same setup as original. Lo and behold as soon as I found this place, that proved to be untrue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
stipud said:
I would personally love to have the new (02+ I think) style key with the alarm buttons directly on the key, instead of this enormous boat key that I have on my 99. Unfortunately when I ordered my spare key, the stealership told me that it wouldn't work, and that I HAD to have the same setup as original. Lo and behold as soon as I found this place, that proved to be untrue.
Pic of the new one plz? Is there anywhere other than the dealer to get one?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Looks like this:

You can get one like this (blank) on epray and get it cut. Or, you can get one used (same epray site), take the guts out and order only the precut shaft from the dealer (approx.$60), reusing the electronics. Third option is to get the whole thing from the dealer (shaft with case, electronics, back flap) in which case it will cost you $200+. All three scenarios require marrying the key to the car via Tech2.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
stipud said:
They had that key in the 98 model 9-5's..
No wonder, they didn;lt sell the 98 9-5 down in the states.

stipud said:
I was worried about that too but I tried it anyway and it worked...

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
stipud said:
I got one of those new keys since my 9-5 only came with 1 key and fob.

It really sucks. The range on the clicker is horrible.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
valbowski1980 said:
I got one of those new keys since my 9-5 only came with 1 key and fob.

It really sucks. The range on the clicker is horrible.
You can swap out the in car reciever with the 02 or higher one, a better antenna was added to deal with the range issue for the new key style...

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Jssaab said:
You can swap out the in car reciever with the 02 or higher one, a better antenna was added to deal with the range issue for the new key style...
Hmmm....

Very interesting. Will I have to have it reprogramed afterwords or can I just drop one in?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, if I want the flip out banana. I will have to get a blank put in or can I use one out of my exisiting separate keys. On the other hand I can get a new all in one key but the range is crap? How big/$$ a job is the new receiver?

G

·
pdenton said:
oh hrm.. that's what my key looks like. I thought stipud said it had alarm buttons on it
If you hold down the unlock button(possibly the lock button too) for a few seconds, it will set the alarm off. To shut the alarm down, press the unlock button again.

You can also set the alarm off by holding the unlock button(or is it lock?) down for a few seconds on the switch next to the shifter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts