SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Saab and GM recommend Mobil 1 oil that meets the GM specs. I tried searching, but couldn't find anything on this. I believe all the Saab dealers here have closed.. and I'm not sure what the correct oil is.

Can't seem to find any Mobil 1 oils that show the GM specification on the back.

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I see Saab and GM recommend Mobil 1 oil that meets the GM specs. I tried searching, but couldn't find anything on this. I believe all the Saab dealers here have closed.. and I'm not sure what the correct oil is.

Can't seem to find any Mobil 1 oils that show the GM specification on the back.

Appreciate the help!
If is 0w-30 or 0w-40, use it. It doesn't have to have the spec on the back nor does it "have to be" Mobil 1, as long as it is the right weight you can use it. ;ol;

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
If is 0w-30 or 0w-40, use it. It doesn't have to have the spec on the back nor does it "have to be" Mobil 1, as long as it is the right weight you can use it. ;ol;
Of course you meant to add" as long as it is full synthetic"

·
Registered
132 Posts
^^Word. Mobil1 has exceeded dexos standards before dexos became what it is today. Dexos is a waste in my opinion, why not fork over a few more dollars and get full synthetic over synthetic blend!?

Anyone use Rotella T6 5w-40 full synthetic?? Just curious, I have used it in a few of my cars in the past :), it is good stuff if you read up on it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I keep seeing people go between 0W30 and 0W40...which is it? I believe MY04 says 0W30 and I just changed my oil with it for the first time...now I am second-guessing myself.

·
Registered
154 Posts
On a separate note, that oil is $9 a quart around here at AutoZone...I went to Walmart and got a 5 quart jug for $27...that's about 50% cheaper! I also needed 7 quarts to fill it to the full line.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I keep seeing people go between 0W30 and 0W40...which is it? I believe MY04 says 0W30 and I just changed my oil with it for the first time...now I am second-guessing myself.
my manual says 0w40 mobil 1 i have a 2007....
its over 12$ liter out here lol.

But 0w30 is also fine i was told...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just want to get what the manufacturer suggests. Granted, I don't believe mobil 1 oil is the best oil out there, it does have the detergents that GM recommends. Besides, the car is still under warranty.

I also want to find something suitable to replace the dex cool.. being that it's not that great of a coolant and turns muddy very quickly. Been hearing rumors that some green stuff can be used.. just has to be of the same alkalinity. Still trying to find some more in depth info on that one.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I also want to find something suitable to replace the dex cool.. being that it's not that great of a coolant and turns muddy very quickly. Been hearing rumors that some green stuff can be used.. just has to be of the same alkalinity. Still trying to find some more in depth info on that one.
I've never seen anything here about this issue... :confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see it all the time at my shop. It's all over the internet how it corrodes away intake gaskets among other problems,on other GM models. Unless the Saab variant is different in compound, I don't see how it wouldn't do that in these cars.

Now, GM could have improved the formula in the last few years, but I've seen that stuff wreck havoc on other GM models.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Royal Purple makes a 0-40, but they expect you to pay for it.
They say that the 5-40 will also work and it is a tad cheaper.

·
Registered
409 Posts
"Nobody ever got fired for buying Mobil1". Mobil1 0W40 is hard to beat for this car. Thin for when the car is cold at startup and nice and thick when it gets up to temperature!

I know it is often expensive. But if you shop around someone always seems to have a deal on it. Yes the going rate in the US is $7, $8, sometimes $9/qt! I look for coupons from Advance Auto Parts and can sometimes buy it for $5/qt. (stock up!!!). Or I find that local Napa stores tend to run a $5/qt. special on Mobil1.

Oil is like blood. You wouldn't want "questionable" blood transfused into you. Especially on a turbocharged car like this you don't want to skimp on oil. That's just my take though. I'd rather buy excellent oil today than have premature breakdown or have to replace expensive parts (turbo) without advance notice.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
It was almost an internet meme a while back, apparently the stuff can precipitate out and clog stuff up under certain conditions. One condition would be topping it up with the green stuff! Mixing types is very, very bad.

If you want to switch, the c900 folks were very excited about Mercedes antifreeze a while back.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/Coolantinfo.htm

A gallon of that isn't crazy money and is easy to find. Just make sure that you flush several times with clean water to get the old stuff out.

FWIW, I went with the purplish stuff that www.eeuroparts.com sells. I suspect it's Dexcool too, but I liked the fact that I could buy it in 1.5 liter increments, rather than gallons so there was less leftover. (EDIT: eeuro now describes this as 'mercedes coolant', so there ya go!)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts