SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just ordered the rear diff gasket so I can replace the gear oil on my '93 C900, the only problem now is sourcing Honda MTF.

I can find it available only in 2.5l cans, as the capacity of the 'box is 3 litres would it be ok to add 0.5l of regular engine oil or would this be a bad idea?

ps. I haven't yet tried the Honda dealer, will they be able to give me 3 whole litres of the stuff?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might have to do that. At the moment though the refiller nut won't budge. It's a 19mm nut under the exhaust manifold yeah? Man that things on tight. Any ideas on removal?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Alternatively, the Honda dealer I tried only had it in drums, but were happy to siphon off the 3 litres I needed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh - just read the part about getting the nut off, that is the one, and mine was completey jammed on as well, apparently they don't need a lot of torque to tighten them so it is easy to over do.

Getting underneath helps as there is a bit more room, but initially I had to take that side panel off, and put it in a vice. However, I don't recommend it, as that panel is not really supposed to be taken off. Part of the gear selector springs compress against the panel and they can fall out (as they did with me - prompting general panic, thanks Saabcentral for helping me put it back together). Could probably damage it aswell, applying that much pressure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I assume so, it also has a short dipstick integrated (which incidently is quite difficult to read if the oil is clean, mine is anyway!).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts