SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a 93 2002 a few months back.

first thing i notice is that it gets really really hot right at the lower center console right next to my right leg. It gets eventually really hot inside the car once you drive for a while. it's becoming unbearable in the summer that is coming.
Is there a heat shield than I am missing?
like that cat heat shield? but on thesaabsite it says that this part is obselete now.
are there any other shields around that area?

thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Hi felchi80 and welcome to the site!

There are heat shields the entire length of the exhaust except for everything in front of the firewall, including the CAT which is under the oil pan. So there should be a shield that runs the length of the tunnel (under the console) and then there's one that goes over the rear axle and one over the rear muffler (I think).

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi felchi80 and welcome to the site!

There are heat shields the entire length of the exhaust except for everything in front of the firewall, including the CAT which is under the oil pan. So there should be a shield that runs the length of the tunnel (under the console) and then there's one that goes over the rear axle and one over the rear muffler (I think).

Good luck.
Hmmm... I finally had a look... It does not seem to be missing anything underneath. what else could it be that under my center console is so hot?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Hmmm... I finally had a look... It does not seem to be missing anything underneath. what else could it be that under my center console is so hot?
High electrical resistance results in heat, but nothing in any automobile, other then heat devices should do this.
You may have to strip her down and sense things.
Also check your position of the cat-Con, maybe the PO moved it.
Or, if you have an IR heat measuring gun(used by the HVAC people), you can try this.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally fixed my problem. I had to strip the center console down. It was the heater box. it seems that the heater core was replaced but it was not installed properly. the box was not fully closed and strapped. in fact it was impossible the strap it down, I think somehow the heater core was not properly fitted... Anyway... i just took some silicon form-a-gasket and sealed it around the box. no more hot air leaking now!

I'm just wondering. Is the heater core always hot? or only when you turn on the heater? because mine is always hot, is that normal?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts