SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to replace speakers in my 2005 Aero. It is a 13 speaker 300 Watt system. I'm looking to replace the 6X9s, 6 1/2 and 3 1/2 speakers. I ordered Infinity Kappa 693.71, 63.7i and 32.7cf. The Kappas have crossovers.

I installed the 693.7i - three way 6X9s today. When I connceted them and turned the radio on - the sound was faint / muffled (BAD). I experianced the same problem when connecting the 3 1/2 speakers.

Rear Deck:
I removed the stock 6X9s, the 4" and tweeter speakers. I noticed on the back of the stock speakers 6X9s a stamp - 4 olms. The Kappas are 2 Olm. Is this mismatch the reason why the new Kappas sound so bad. The 4 Olm stamp was also on the 3 1/2 I removed.

I'm getting ready to return the Kappa. But before I do I would like to find out why this is happening.

Please reply with help

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
If wired correctly, the 2 ohm speakers should actually play louder than 4 ohm speakers.

I would stick with 4 ohm speakers except in the doors. The issue with lower impedance is mainly with the amps and whether they can handle the higher current required to drive a 2 ohm load. They probably cannot do so for a long duration. I expect they would overheat. But in the short term, I expect they would play just fine.

I sincerely doubt Infinity speakers are 2 ohm anyway. Probably 3 ohm. I bought their kappa 62.7i for the doors. It's sold as 2 ohm, but the meter shows 3. Great speaker all the same.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My guess is the signal going to the 6X9 woofers that you removed is only the bass frequencies from around 20HZ up to approx 150HZ?
So the three way 6X9's that you put in are only going to reproduce the bass tones only.
You have a bit of a problem coz the tweeters/mids/woofers that you removed cannot easily be replaced by the one speaker due to the way the different frequency ranges are sent to the different speakers.

You need to send a full range signal to the rear 6X9's, I dont even know if this exists in the 13/300W system?

CHeers Teddy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts