SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys thanks for your great support!

From time to time when I start my 9-5 areo wagon it starts then stalls.
On the second try it always keeps going.
Also, under heavy acceleration, somewhere around 3000 rpm, the engine misses momentarily then keeps going.

I changed the plugs but no change.

Am I looking at a new ignition pack?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Also, maybe this is turbo lag? When I lift off to change gear the engine revs a little before slowing down. Its like I left my foot on the gas too long before pressing the clutch.

Is this normal?

thanks

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
One of the causes of the "starts then stalls" problem is the check valve in the fuel line. The check valve is there to prevent pressure in the fuel rail from leaking back into the tank through the pump when the car is sitting.

If you let the car sit over night and then in the morning the first start gets a little fuel and then stalls, that might be the cause.

FWIW having just changed a fuel pump I'm not sure how in the world you change those things with those rigid hoses.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
misfire can be a bunch of things. Coil pack (DIC) crank position sensor (CPS) or fuel delivery since you need a lot more fuel under heavy acceleration than you need when you're just cruising along at 3K

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
misfire can be a bunch of things. Coil pack (DIC) crank position sensor (CPS) or fuel delivery since you need a lot more fuel under heavy acceleration than you need when you're just cruising along at 3K

How do I trouble shoot these items?
The fuel delivery seems OK as it give power throughout the rpms, except at around 3000+ rpm, when then engine lags very momentarily. but not every time.
Is this a correct assumption?

What are the symptoms of a faulty crank sensor, or DIC?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
FWIW having just changed a fuel pump I'm not sure how in the world you change those things with those rigid hoses.

cut the line at the ridge furthest from the pump (so you're left with a flared end on the line), grab the line with a 5/16 brake flare tool, push new pump into line. same procedure for changing the check valve. DO NOT heat the line, you want it as rigid as possible

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey guys thanks for your great support!

Also, maybe this is turbo lag? When I lift off to change gear the engine revs a little before slowing down. Its like I left my foot on the gas too long before pressing the clutch.

Is this normal?

thanks
That overrun or over rev when changing gears is normal with a manual 9-5. I think it's due to a heavy flywheel.

If your car actually stutters ie. cuts out momentarily, then it's misfiring. If you plant your foot from low revs eg. 2000rpms and the engine seems to bog down (but fire consistently) for a few seconds and then come onto power at around 3000rpms then that's normal turbo lag.

If you have a misfire then get yourself a code reader (or borrow one) or you can end up chasing your tail trying to fix it... and wasting a lot of money. Search for OBII code reader. I've got a Vgate type on its way (recommended to me cos it has auto sleep function so you can just leave it plugged in).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.