SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized my battery died this morning and went about my day having my girl drive me around. I picked up a new one at Wal-mart and installed the thing in my street in front of my house in early afternoon.

When I turned my car on to pull into the driveway it was just fine. However I started it later to get groceries and heard what I assume is a bad noise. It sounded like my buddies Saleen before his engine blew, as it was a deep popping noise... my revs were all over the place and she kept dying. I looked behind the car and noticed a trail of oil in the street running under my car, so I checked and was low (I replaced it maybe a week ago). I tightened the [slightly loose] bolt for the oil pan, added a quart, called a mechanic, and started it up again. Same result.

I tried once more after 30 minutes (stupidly), but came to find it idling just fine and sounding perfectly smooth.:eek:

I still have a small oil leak, apparent from some cardboard I placed under the pan...

What could be going on here? Any recommendations as far as driving?

What can be done to further investigate an oil leak?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
With these newer computerized cars it is best to always have at least 9 volts available to keep the computer "alive". Even a dead battery may have this..

So we remove the power source causing the computer to "go to sleep" and forget everything it ever learned..

After the new battery is installed the computer will re-learn, but this takes a little time..
This info should be in the owner's manual and of course is not...:nono;

The deep popping noise, similar to a dieing Saleen - is this a whale ?? - I cannot comprehend ...maybe you threw a rod ????

Just inspect the engine and all its devices and hoses and monitor the levels..
Hope you have a nice warm garage...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
earthworm said:
With these newer computerized cars it is best to always have at least 9 volts available to keep the computer "alive". Even a dead battery may have this..

So we remove the power source causing the computer to "go to sleep" and forget everything it ever learned..

After the new battery is installed the computer will re-learn, but this takes a little time..
This info should be in the owner's manual and of course is not...:nono;

The deep popping noise, similar to a dieing Saleen - is this a whale ?? - I cannot comprehend ...maybe you threw a rod ????

Just inspect the engine and all its devices and hoses and monitor the levels..
Hope you have a nice warm garage...
Haha a Saleen is a high performance version of a Ford Mustang... my friend has one whose engine seized and it sounded similar to mine.

I checked everything and it all seems to be in order. However my car is clearly not pulling as hard as it was before, perhaps this has to do with the computer "re-learning".

I still have the oil leak but other than that I haven't experienced the noise.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Could be the ECu needing to relearn it's pre-programed parameters, but that doesn't seem to make much sense, or it could be that the timing is off or, worse yet, the timing chain tensioner is out of whack, or the timing chain has had it, or your ignition module is dirty, or there's some rap or water in your tank??

Why not erase all of the confusion by taking it by a shop to have them pull the codes on it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts