1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
This is a great site !
I have a question, like that is a surprise , lol
I just bought a 2002 Saab 9-5 Linear with 32,000 original miles on it. (I just gave up my 1981 Mercedes 300TD wagon diesel, :) I had new plugs installed as part of the 30,000 mile thing, etc.
I took the car on a 5 hour (highway mileage) trip, and it ran great. But one time going up hill, the car started bucking, slowing down, then cleared up, ran fine. Then I noticed on DE-celleration, the car would jerk slightly , buck, buck, buck,,until I stepped on the gas again. On the way back, the check engine light came on. The car ran fine, except for the bucking on deceleration. The light did not flash, I put the scanner on it, and it showed P0301 . I cleared the code, and it did not come back on for a week or tow around town driving. It still bucked at deceleration, but no codes and no check engine light. My mechanic who was away, said it was probably the DIC. I ordered one, and installed it yesterday. I did not install or check the plugs because I had a ferry to catch. I took it on a 2 hour trip. It was still bucking on deceleration, but still no check engine light. When I arrived, I was showed someone how to use the scanner and the P0301 pending code came up, but no check engine light. Then after an hour trip, the check engine light came on again. (Not flashing) . I cleared the code, but car is still bucking on deceleration. Also, every few minutes, the check engine, fuel, transmission and one other light comes on very faintly, then goes off. Also at idle it jumps a little, someone said it was the O2 sensor kicking in.?
I'm sorry for rambling, but I figured I'd be thorough in the beginning.
Thank you for any help !
Ann

·
Registered
363 Posts
I guess the first thing I would do is to switch the number 1 and number 2 spark plugs since you seem to be able to read the code and see if the misfire code goes to cylinder 2. Take a look at the two plugs when you pull them to see if you see any difference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

I am starting to get a small buck on deceleration, but with no CEL. I was wondering if maybe the place I bought it from used wrong spark plugs (they said they changed them), since they obviously didn't know what DIC the car should use (they put a red one on it to clear a CEL).

Would the wrong plugs cause a slight buck once in a while on deceleration?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't see that you got a response to your question. HOwever, in looking for another issue with getting a misfire, I was watching the ignition while driving. The ignitors are actually turned off if you are decelerating (like foot completely off the gas pedal). So, plugs might not be your problem, unless it is something when the ignition come back on, which would be when you get to going slow enough that the engine won't turn enough when being driven back through the transmission. Anyway, not sure that I have an answer for you, but some feedback anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts