SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have just purchased my first Saab, it's a 2003 9-3 2.0T, with 95000KM on it. I purchased from a dealership, when I first got it, it had a very bad misfire at all times. Dealer replaced a coil (non OEM) and replaced all spark plugs with NGK (proper gap) and misfire went away. Now, the car runs great, except if the engine is still below operating temp (driving normal), or when running at full boost (just below the red line), it feels like it is either misfiring or has a fuel cut. I have been driving it for 7 days now, and there have been no check engine lights except for a P01455, which I believe is related to my fuel sending unit as my gas gauge doesn't work. Runs fine at idle, low and medium boost. The "chugging" occurs at any gear, any speed, only at full boost (or when the engine is cold)

I will be replacing all 4 of the ignition coils with OEM, I am just trying to save some money before I do so. Is there anything else I should look at or is it my best bet to start with the OEM coils and then troubleshoot? I am only hesitant on buying the coils immediately because there is no CEL, which leads me to believe it is an over boost issue.

Pardon my ignorance, I am still learning my way around the car.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
If u have a scan tool, look at misfire data to figure out which cylinder is counting misfire during the event, or which cylinder has the greatest number of misfires, and start with one coil on that cylinder, thus saving the $$ on the remaining 3 coil.
it is usually one cylinder

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
oem coils oem. see sticky thread up top

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If u have a scan tool, look at misfire data to figure out which cylinder is counting misfire during the event, or which cylinder has the greatest number of misfires, and start with one coil on that cylinder, thus saving the $$ on the remaining 3 coil.
it is usually one cylinder
I will be using my buddies on monday. My scanner will not pick anything up unless theres a code.

oem coils oem. see sticky thread up top
I will definitely be replacing the coils no matter what, I was just wondering if there could be any other components to check before buying the coils right away. I do know it is OEM or nothing, glad I did my research before throwing away 100 bucks at aftermarket coils.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
autozone-duralast
advance auto- intermotor
I assume you have one of those 2 in Canada?
use a coupon from online. order online and pickup in store.
open box while there to confirm it looks like coil in sticky.

just buy one and replace non oem coil from dealer. report back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
autozone-duralast
advance auto- intermotor
I assume you have one of those 2 in Canada?
use a coupon from online. order online and pickup in store.
open box while there to confirm it looks like coil in sticky.

just buy one and replace non oem coil from dealer. report back.
Either have autovalue, lordco, partsource or Napa.

All of them have non OEM, except I havent called napa which I will on Monday. Rockauto also has nothing close to OEM.

Are those OEM brands you listed?

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
Pulled from wrecked cars.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If your ECU is tuned or you plan to tune in the future it is advisable to get all brand new original ignition coils. Used working condition coils may run good with a factory map but most of the time they won't hold up with a remap ECU.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pulled from wrecked cars.
Awesome, I appreciate the link! Even the new coils on there are extremely cheap.. local shop quoted me $350 a coil.. cheapest I could find online is $120 and that's in CAD!

If your ECU is tuned or you plan to tune in the future it is advisable to get all brand new original ignition coils. Used working condition coils may run good with a factory map but most of the time they won't hold up with a remap ECU.

I will be going with new coils, car is staying stock other than a 3" exhaust turbo back.

I was just driving today and was able to listen to the turbo. I do find when the engine studders, the turbo also studders with it, like its cutting out. Is this another cause to lead to coils?

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
yes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a quick update. I installed my winter tires, while I had it in the garage I blew out the boost control solenoid, and also cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner.

Took it for a spin, definite misfire there now with a flashing engine light (which I never had before). Again, only at full boost.

As stated before, will install ignition coils and report back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why not get a tune to complement the 3" turbo back exhaust?
Maybe eventually. Only vehicle I've had tuned was my duramax, I'm more worried about finding a good tuner. The car is quick as it is, I got it for a winter beater but I'll see how I feel about tuning after this season and exhaust work as it's a very clean car.

First things first, is getting rid of this misfire!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update:

Installed new OEM coil packs from neobros. Removed the old garbage yellow tops, car runs very nice now. I can still feel a little jerking at full boost when the pedal is to the floor, but I won't be there too often anyway.

Since my CEL is on for an evap code and no fuel gauge, I will be replacing the pump this week.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
A little late, but Nordicspeed has OEM coils: https://nordicspeed.com/collections/9-3-03-11/products/ignition-coil-4-cyl-b207-oem-saab

If you are in the GTA (you'll know what that means if you are), Budd's in Oakville carries OEM parts. Saab Club of Canada members get 10% off. Sometimes their prices are very good, sometimes they're very bad, so it's always worth checking. No shipping costs if you go to pick up when the part is in (if they don't have it in stock), and they may even have it in stock, which makes it an over-the-counter transaction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A little late, but Nordicspeed has OEM coils: https://nordicspeed.com/collections/9-3-03-11/products/ignition-coil-4-cyl-b207-oem-saab

If you are in the GTA (you'll know what that means if you are), Budd's in Oakville carries OEM parts. Saab Club of Canada members get 10% off. Sometimes their prices are very good, sometimes they're very bad, so it's always worth checking. No shipping costs if you go to pick up when the part is in (if they don't have it in stock), and they may even have it in stock, which makes it an over-the-counter transaction.
Thanks for the info. I'm in Western Canada, so pick up is not an option. Always good to have other sources.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm in Western Canada, so pick up is not an option. Always good to have other sources.
Nordicspeed is located somewhere around Vancouver, so no surprises about customs fees or taxes. Depending on where you are in Western Canada, you could pay them a visit if necessary.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts