SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I need some ideas as to what's wrong with my '96 900SET. It tends to mis-fire a little during acceleration. It will idle just fine but misses randomly during acceleration. I took it in to the saab guy to have him hook it up to the computer and it came back with a "camshaft timing sensor" malfunction. Now, he said there isn't really any such sensor but it indicates something else. We tested the Direct Ignition Cassette and sure enough one of the coils was not working properly. The one spark plug would only fire about 20% or the time. So I replaced the DI cassette ($335) and the spark plugs too and it is still doing the same thing. I'm now wondering if it isn't some other part of the ignition system or if it isn't fuel related. The car has 81000 miles and has been relatively well maintained. If anyone has any ideas as to what might be going on I'd really appreciate any assistance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe that's what the trouble code was then?? either way... the mech said there really isn't one but I'm beginning to doubt him. I did look in my Haynes manual and it doesn't show any info regarding either sensor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was also thinking fuel as well but wasn't sure... I watched the mech do the trouble code "download" and I didn't see the actual number but it was a nice machine and it just said "camshaft position sensor malfunction". The mech did say that there isn't an actual CPS but it indicates other things. He immediately tested the DIC and it did misfire on the one cylinder. I replaced the DIC and plugs and am still having the problem. I am taking your advice and running FI cleaner through the fuel system and hoping that clears it up. I guess if that doesn't work I may have to conisder new injectors??? I appreciate your help guys!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.