SaabCentral Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the debates around here that there are those that say that Saab should just stick with 4-cylinder engines, especially when you're talking about the 9-3 2.0T. As a 2.8L V6 Aero owner, the engine is one of the big reasons I bought the car and up until a few days ago I would be one of the ones that would say that SAAB really needed to go with a V6 to compete with other brands. I still love my V6, but I can now absolutely say that GM/Saab has the technology to stick with the 2.0.

Two days ago my wife and I traded her '05 Volvo S40 in on a leftover brand new '07 Solstice GXP. Love the car and got a fantastic deal. I could go on about the car in general but I wanted to share details about this engine with other Saabistas. Oh my goodness. Saab needs to 'steal' this engine for themselves. For those that don't know, the Solstice GXP uses a direct-injection, twin-scroll turbocharged and intercooled 2.0L ECOTEC engine. Variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust. 260hp, 260 lb/ft of torque from like 2500RPM. Still manages to get 31mpg on the highway (I'm sure less in a heavier car). Amazing engine, especially coming from GM.

The turbo lag is non-existent. Even less than on my Aero. The power is just there, immediately. We haven't pushed it hard (still in the break-in period), but wow, this thing moves.

Does anyone know if Saab 'helped' GM build this engine? Is it related to the 2.0T in any way? I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that the 9-3 2.0T is in the ECOTEC family. It really acts just like a Saab turbo, at least from owning my Aero, and test driving a 2.0T. Totally smooth. Absolutely not peaky like some other turbocharged engines (ahem, Subaru, Mitsubishi...). It feels, remarkably, like the 2.8L V6 in my Aero.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not disagreeing

But, be careful how fast a vehicle feels as opposed to actual numbers. My wife was recently considering an '07 9-3 2.0T. and I had the chance to drive it as well. Compared to my SC Aero, it did feel lighter on its feet. But, driving witht e V-6 made me realize it was a perception issue.
The 4-cyl has much more drama, and of course the Solstice is lighter, so maybe it is faster. I just love how the speed builds in the V-6, myself.

·
Registered
368 Posts
TJN, the 2.0 Solstice has 260hp. 10hp more than the Saab 2.8 V6 turbo. 50hp more than the Saab 2.0 turbo.

Therefore, we can see right away the V6 is just for marketing. And it burns more fuel than the 2.0, without giving any extra performance. So that's pretty much pointless, isn't it. V6 smoothness is nice. Then again, the Ecotec is the smoothest 4 cylinder car I've ever experienced. It even sounds good running hard.

If Saab wants to get serious, it needs to use that 260hp 2.0T motor as a base motor, and make the Aero AWD-only with 295hp. What would this cost, virtually nothing. Times a-wasting. The Japanese do not sit still. Neither should Saab.

·
Registered
368 Posts
LaserRed9-3Aero said:
Does anyone know if Saab 'helped' GM build this engine? Is it related to the 2.0T in any way? I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that the 9-3 2.0T is in the ECOTEC family. It really acts just like a Saab turbo, at least from owning my Aero, and test driving a 2.0T. Totally smooth. Absolutely not peaky like some other turbocharged engines (ahem, Subaru, Mitsubishi...). It feels, remarkably, like the 2.8L V6 in my Aero.
From what I understand, Saab took the GM block and designed its own, premium parts list which is stronger and more premium than the other GM brands. However, GM Powertrain seems to have built the 260hp motor using VVT and a variable geometry turbo, which the Saab does not have.

They probably leared some things from Saab about turbocharging. Then again, GM Powertrain is easily among the world's best engineers. They can build anything well. In my opinion the 2 best GM motors right now are (1) the 260hp Ecotec 4 and (2) the 306hp V6 that runs on regular gas.

·
Registered
107 Posts
How much did you pay for the Solstice GXP? I have longed for a muscle car and was eyeing for a Corvette. But through the ownship of the Saab I fell in love with turbo changed engines. Great fuel economy when babied, superior torque (starting at the bottom) when pushed.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
wshtb said:
How much did you pay for the Solstice GXP? I have longed for a muscle car and was eyeing for a Corvette. But through the ownship of the Saab I fell in love with turbo changed engines. Great fuel economy when babied, superior torque (starting at the bottom) when pushed.
The MSRP sticker is $32k, as ours has almost every option (automatic, leather, Monsoon stereo w/ 6 disk changer, XM, acoustic headliner, polished 18" rims). We spent a good couple of hours negotiating sticker and trade-in values, but in the end we were at about $27k before taxes+title and that's without any monetary incentives as we took the 0% financing from GM.

We've got 451 miles on it now. You're supposed to baby the thing for the first 500 miles. Very excited for tomorrow when it should roll over and I can really let her loose. :cheesy: . This is such a fun little car. We can't wait for a warm day to be able to put the top down!

It's just like a Corvette that was left in the dryer too long. It's supposedly only a couple of ticks slower to 60 than a (standard) Corvette as well. A regular 'vette supposedly does 0-60 in 5.3, the GXP is supposedly 5.5.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
It's a totally kick-*** engine...It's a travesty that it's not in any Saabs.

The turbo itself is made by Borg-Warner and was spec'd by a combination of Saab, Opel and Pontiac folks...

The car itself is a wicked little performer that Grass Roots Motorsports tested against a stock Miata and a race-prepped Miata back in early 07. With only a couple of minor suspension tweaks, the Solstice held its own and was incredibly quick -- even compared against the race-prepped model.

I bet you'll find reasons to borrow the car on weekends. (Just keep the race tires out back... :cool: )

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
LaserRed9-3Aero said:
The MSRP sticker is $32k, as ours has almost every option (automatic, leather, Monsoon stereo w/ 6 disk changer, XM, acoustic headliner, polished 18" rims). We spent a good couple of hours negotiating sticker and trade-in values, but in the end we were at about $27k before taxes+title and that's without any monetary incentives as we took the 0% financing from GM.

We've got 451 miles on it now. You're supposed to baby the thing for the first 500 miles. Very excited for tomorrow when it should roll over and I can really let her loose. :cheesy: . This is such a fun little car. We can't wait for a warm day to be able to put the top down!

It's just like a Corvette that was left in the dryer too long. It's supposedly only a couple of ticks slower to 60 than a (standard) Corvette as well. A regular 'vette supposedly does 0-60 in 5.3, the GXP is supposedly 5.5.
my brother just bought an 08 corvette and that thing is definitely faster than 5.3, maybe old corvette but i doubt ls2 or ls3. the ls3 in my brothers car is doing mid 4s. anyways congrats on a fantastic car, was actually one of my options but the saab was safer and cheaper, i hope you enjoy your car for many years to come.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I love the GXP engine

I totally agree that the '08 should have had that engine. Big mistake.

Now that the 35mpg CAFE standard is law, I'm going to bet that this engine becomes standard on the Aero.

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
look guys... seriously... the new engine everyone is raving about... it still isnt exactly a top of the line engine
The new lancer evo's put out 291 hp out of a 2.0L engine and theyre not exactly pushed that hard from the factory so the new ecotek pushing out a measly 260hp doesnt exactly blow me away. Look guys, saabs are nice cars and all but lets face facts... theyre not exactly quick... never have been and never will be. I bought mine because I like the quirks that are typical saab fare and did not want to look like every other chump that pulls up to the light in a 3 series but as far as performance... our cars will simply not be able to keep up with any of the japanese sporty cars in our price class. The new V6 aero runs about a grand more at average invoice than the MSRP of an EVO and the EVO will make a mockery of the aero.
So even if GM comes out with yet another ecotek 2.0L that pushes out 300hp... by then the jappos will be pushing out engines in the same size that will probably be pushing out 350hp or more. If the guys at BSR can push my linear to 308hp for about 8 grand... bringing my total price i paid for my car to 31k theoretically if i did the upgrade... why is it then that the retards at GM cant put out cars with engines with those specs and instead sell the V6 aero for more with less hp?

·
Banned
631 Posts
Umm you dont think the ecotec engine is impressive? are you truly that dum.

Have you heard of the 1000hp build guide from GM for the cobalt??

Anything is possible if you have money.

Oh I guess you dont follow drag racing either.

That 4 cylinder ecotec engine is hitting 6.6 seconds in 1/4 mile.

Now STFU if you dont know what your talking about.

And FYI 260hp stock on a 2.0L engine is ****ing impressive. How much do you think those solstices weigh??

Redbull's solstice drift car is running 500hp, and they are still tuning.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/2060501.005/pontiac-unveils-red-bull-solstice-gxp-drifting-car

Honestly some people on here need to read up before shooting out.

I dear anyone to test me on my facts

·
Registered
299 Posts
just checked on pontiac's website what a solstice is.

and got a perfect example how marketing has taken over the world:

they claim, that the solstice is faster than a MBW Z4.
i dont think a mistake like this would be missed by someone who has some automotive knowledge.

the person writing this probably drives a WV Beetle herself and most likely doestn know what an wolwo, audee, merseedes, porschee or fairaree is. :eek:

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
Mike you obviously need to hit puberty and do some growing up so go back to mommy and daddy and ask them if its ok for you to borrow their 93 so you can look "sexy" and "hawt" in front of your high school friends.

The evo has a stock 2.0L 4cyl engine that puts out 291 from the factory and since i already mentioned that in my last post... you obviously cant read.
That 260hp ecotek is the first gas direct injection engine offered by american automakers and mitsubishi already put one on the market in 1996. And by going around quoting those numbers on race cars you show just how little you really know about cars. Anyone can use wikipedia.

So go back to being a groupie dreaming of what rims you could put on that 93 if it wasnt mom & pop's and stick to watching the fast and the furious.

·
Banned
631 Posts
cavedudejeff said:
Mike you obviously need to hit puberty and do some growing up so go back to mommy and daddy and ask them if its ok for you to borrow their 93 so you can look "sexy" and "hawt" in front of your high school friends.

The evo has a stock 2.0L 4cyl engine that puts out 291 from the factory and since i already mentioned that in my last post... you obviously cant read.
That 260hp ecotek is the first gas direct injection engine offered by american automakers and mitsubishi already put one on the market in 1996. And by going around quoting those numbers on race cars you show just how little you really know about cars. Anyone can use wikipedia.

So go back to being a groupie dreaming of what rims you could put on that 93 if it wasnt mom & pop's and stick to watching the fast and the furious.
honestly, grow the **** up, dont get pissy that you know **** all about cars.

you cant even compare an evo to a solstice. a hole different other class.

now like i said before.

GROW UP

everyone knows the japanese are way more advanced in automotive then americans. BTW try 1991. when the nissan skyline was produced. look it up.

see again you know nothing.

and btw. its Ecotec not ecotek you illiterate ****.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.