SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The finish on my dash is starting to become a bit....milky? for a lack of a better word.

Anyone know what would have caused this and also is it an easy fix, or should I get some of that carbon wrap and do the whole dash with that if it becomes too much of a PITA.

EDIT:
Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum, this cold is making me a bit....dazed.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I think the sun fades the dash. Especially if you leave the sunroof shade open all the time in the summer. I would go ahead and wrap the dash. It'll protect it and it looks cool. Chris did it on his 9-5 and it looked sweet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
try wrapping it with matt vinyl, i think it will look better than cf; i thought about wrapping it, but i am afraid to lose the classy look
I don't want to lose the look as well, but the milky effect looks awful, I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them.

I have the tan interior, so I am wondering what would look good with it, although the vinyl looks good, I wonder what colors they have available? :confused:

Also, is it possible to sand down the clear coat on it and re-finish it, or is there any other way to get rid of this issue?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've noticed the difference when I pulled the leather off the shifter; you can see how bad sun damaged the surface.
I tried using Menzerna Power Finish, did not help at all. I've read online that it helped some people, but not me. Maybe a good pad will help.
I also tried Macquarie ultimate compound - it removed all the scratches, but did not bring back the color.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Had mine replaced under warranty ( at year 3 probalby) due to a known manufacturing defect.

You can buy a replacement

·
Registered
162 Posts
Is it the aluminum looking dash or the wood dash?
Luckily I haven't had this issue on my '99...shes still goes strong = w= :cheesy:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well i wouldnt advise spraying yourself ! i did it myself and wasnt able to dry the paint properly like a proper paint shop will, and it was a bit shabby after about a year, chipped easy too. I would advise getting a second hand aluminium effect one off ebay or something, this is what i did and im well chuffed with that look.....

If you do want to customise your own also be very careful taking the switches out mainly the hazards switch, because if it is the wood effect one it chipps so so easy when you pull the switches out..

Good luck
NIck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts