SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My to do list while I'm waiting for my NEW TDO4 Turbo to arrive is to drop the sump,PCV #6,heat control valve,t-stat and coolant, upgraded front air intake,sport transmission mount,clear fender blinkers, stupid upshift light elimination,and a fuel pump line retainer. Tonight I dropped the sump and it didn't look too bad, a little varnish and a very little bit of crap (not sludge) at the pickup area. Got that buttoned up and moved on the the PCV fix. When I pulled the oil filler out I noticed some MILKY BROWN SLUDGE and some in the hose from the turbo line. My high hopes came crashing down instantly:cry: . Then I noticed that the grommet at the valve cover was almost gone and I'm hoping that some moisture entered there and caused the sludge, but I also noticed the front (pulley) side of the engine has some oil on it so maybe a possible head gasket? What gets me is that the sump had NO SLUDGE at all! Could the bad turbo be the cause of the sludge? When I finnally get to do the turbo installation (GT17 to a TD04) I read that I need to change some copper seals and maybe some banjo bolts, are these Saab parts or an improvised part? Which line needs to be altered? Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
The sludge I've seen is either hard black gritty stuff, or pasty black stuff that looks like tar. If you're seeing stuff that looks like chocolate milk, that's probably coolant mixed into the oil, probably from a leaking head gasket.

The head bolts used to be notorious for loosening over time, so you might want to have those retorqued to spec, the n flush and fill with new oil....

good luck!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips, I pulled the valve cover and it was clean:D , so I retorgued (sp?)the head bolts as per instructions. Now on to the next project on the list!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts