SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An update on the MPG figures, much more accurate is an average of 26 for the past 8 months and at least 30 on the interstates;

I finally bought my MPG book up to date..This mileage is a tad better than the old Honda Accord; This car is too heavy to beat JohnDeere's figures..
I still have 27.3 showing on the digital display panel..Also, I note that the odometer seems about 3 to 4 % slow- according to the interstate mileage markers.

JohnDeere has a Chevy Caviler - the GardenWeb has some very intelligent members on the forum.

What are your mileage numbers ???

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
When on cruise, hwy mileage is 30-34 over medium distances on the flat, 60-75 mph, measured by the SID, or 28-30 in heavy hwy traffic. That is with fairly new plugs and after using injector cleaner and reformulated gas (10% ethanol). About 3-4 miles per gallon less with old plugs and no cleaner for a while. Also goes down in warm weather and/or summer blend gas, not sure which.

15-18 in start stop city traffic, also measured by the SID.

About 25 mpg average over time, by the pump and the odometer.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PMI said:
When on cruise, hwy mileage is 30-34 over medium distances on the flat, 60-75 mph, measured by the SID, or 28-30 in heavy hwy traffic. That is with fairly new plugs and after using injector cleaner and reformulated gas (10% ethanol). About 3-4 miles per gallon less with old plugs and no cleaner for a while. Also goes down in warm weather and/or summer blend gas, not sure which.

15-18 in start stop city traffic, also measured by the SID.

About 25 mpg average over time, by the pump and the odometer.
Not bad at all, PMI.

City traffic is a MPG killer - helps, if possible, to time the lights.
I have yet to even look at the sparks in this car I bought a year ago, never a misfire, good MPG, can still do 100....So many things to do...

My summer mileage is always 1 to 3 better than winter..

The Diesel Golf averaged 45 in the winter, 55 in the summer...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
earthworm said:
I have yet to even look at the sparks in this car I bought a year ago, never a misfire, good MPG, can still do 100....So many things to do...
The turbo seems remarkably tolerant of old plugs and large gaps, not sure about the 2.3L n/a model. I inadvertently left an old set in for 30k+ miles after one of my experiments swapping plugs and except for the drop in mpg, there was never a problem running the car.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
My average is a whisker over 30mpg [imperial] with the V6, this is on a 15 mile commute with urban cold start duty cycles at both ends [this is where I'm sure half the fuel goes]

I've put in on the last fill 97RON 'super unleaded' doesn't seem to have done anything for economy or performance for 4 pence a litre more.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thats interesting, ragtop...

I usually use supermarket petrol (93MON) but the last couple of times I have used Shell V Power 93 MON and I'm sure I'm getting about 1.0-1.5MPG more...this is according to my advisor, Sydney*, rather than my own calcs.

I think 93 MON = 97 RON

*SID! ok, it was a crxp joke!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Swiftmobile averaging 34 mpg per imperial gallon @ 83p per litre ( c. $5.50 per US gallon) - lot's of motorway runs, recently.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Current average over the last 4 tanks is 23.8 mpg (lots of stop-and-go!) via real math - SID reports 23.1 mpg. If highway cruising at 65 to 70 mph, then 30-32 mpg... at an averaged out price of $2.73 per gallon for 92 (R+M/2) octane.

·
Registered
101 Posts
texasjohn said:
Thats interesting, ragtop...

I usually use supermarket petrol (93MON) but the last couple of times I have used Shell V Power 93 MON and I'm sure I'm getting about 1.0-1.5MPG more...this is according to my advisor, Sydney*, rather than my own calcs.

I think 93 MON = 97 RON

*SID! ok, it was a crxp joke!
Oh how that made my laugh!

Get about 7.4l/100km driving highway 65mph and about 9-11l/100km city. I don't know what that would be in mpg

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Zaphod Beeblebrox said:
Swiftmobile averaging 34 mpg per imperial gallon @ 83p per litre ( c. $5.50 per US gallon) - lot's of motorway runs, recently.

Yes the old Stealth Mobile used to run around 33-34mpg. The new red machine is running at near 30mpg at this time. maybe a little early to asses this yet.

I have noticed that the new machine although turbo is running the earlier gearbox. The FM54 501. This transmission was used in the 2.0/2.3 na models after the FM55 model arrived with a different final drive ratio. I have been told that this ratio could cost me as much as 4/5 mpg :eek: :roll:

Dead

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Dead, I would not be surprised at the fuel differential. The autobox in Mrs B's GM900XS even feels significantly shorter legged cf. the Swiftmobile, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Dead Centre said:
Y
I have noticed that the new machine although turbo is running the earlier gearbox. The FM54 501. This transmission was used in the 2.0/2.3 na models after the FM55 model arrived with a different final drive ratio. I have been told that this ratio could cost me as much as 4/5 mpg :eek: :roll:

Dead
sounds to me that you've got the 'short' gearbox optimised for acceleration and 'B' roads, you may be trading that tranny in with Boxman if you don't like it :lol: .

Does it do around 66-68mph @ 3000rpm?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JMarkert said:
With a top speed of 45 mph :D
Economy of operation includes no speeding tickets, the top speed was 80 or 90 - never used
I usually drove the speed limit or a little less - and I always arrived with a "fat-wallet"..
I'd love to hear from the European Saab Diesel TDIs..

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
For the 900S automatic:
Combo interstate/local roads: 26.1 mpg (hand calculated), so thats about 31 mpg imperial.
Interstate: 30-32 mpg, so thats 36-38 mpg imperial.

Car is much happier with the summer blend of gasoline back in service. During the winter months was averaging 22-23 mpg for interstate/local roads (26/27 mpg imperial). My biggest loss is during the first cold start of the morning (extra dumping of fuel into the cylinders?)
Last summer during the warm days was averaging, while driving 70% highway (speed 65mph (limit is 55mph)), and 30% local roads, about 32 mpg consistently. Can't wait to get back to those figures for an overall tank.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fascinating !

SlaabforLife - our cars and mileages are nearly identical. I am running BF Goodrich "fatties" 195 by 65 by 15.
The odometer reading is about 3 - 5 % slow..

So we have five different engines, two or more different transmissions, and three different measuring systems..

Eventually we will have to convert over to the Canadian/Euro liters per 100 KM system..(hope this is correct)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
ragtopcav said:
sounds to me that you've got the 'short' gearbox optimised for acceleration and 'B' roads, you may be trading that tranny in with Boxman if you don't like it :lol: .

Does it do around 66-68mph @ 3000rpm?
Funny that.

I do still have the Stealth Machine sat out the rear of our house. I was pondering on a tranny swapout. I can see and hear the wife in my ears all over again..:roll:

I shall have to watch the MPG's. Then again I was pondering on a slow rebuild of teh stealth machine and a sale....

Dead

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Dead Centre said:
I do still have the Stealth Machine sat out the rear of our house. I was pondering on a tranny swapout. I can see and hear the wife in my ears all over again..:roll:
swap the tranny's over and rebuild the stealth machine into a trackday menace :cheesy:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts