SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a previous owner of several Saabs. most recent was a 9000, but i favor the 900's. at the time i owned the pre 93 900's i didn't pay too much attention to the gas mileage. i do seem to recall getting around 33 mpg with a four door 1984 900s with an automatic. does that sound right to anyone? i am looking to find one of these older cars with all this bull at the gas pumps lately but not sure if getting back into that generation Saab will break the thirtys, mpg-wise and thats my goal. like most i would really like an SPG but hey, who knows...Appreciate any input on this...

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
With 5 speeds, you can get as much as 35 MPG(US) on a healthy engine cruising at 55-60 mph on the highway.

·
Registered
418 Posts
In good mechanical condition, low 30's mpg for a naturally aspirated c900 is very realistic. (Turbo's use more gas, because they addict you to pushing the gas pedal - 28-29 mpg for them).

But these cars are now 20 years old, give or take. Even a car that appears to be in good driving condition might have some issues that affect gas mileage. Small vacuum leaks, old injectors, whatever.

So you buy a c900 for $1500, and spend another $1000 getting it into good running/high-efficiency shape. Economically I'm not sure that works out.

$1000 still buys a lot of gas, even at $3-3.50/gallon.

If getting a Saab with good gas mileage is your goal, I'd look at the ng900's (1994-98): they're newer, less likely to need obscure repairs, and again the n/a versions get pretty good mileage. (Better, IIRC, than the c900's).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a guy i know who has sold the 1994+ "GM" 900's said they all had "sludge" issues due to the proximity of the catalytic conv to the crankcase. so if i were to look at that vintage be wary of that. my mom in law has a 94 or 95 900 with many troubles as well. (she's never let me forget it either as it was my penchant for Saabs that got her to buy one even though i let her know that perhaps the GM versions were untried at the time).

as for doing the work on them to perhaps bring an older motor up to "par" i would be getting back in the game again for parts. this website lists many options so i am guessing that parts are not an issue? for pre-93 Saabs...???

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
NG 900 with sludge? Me no believe ;)

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
arknsparc said:
as for doing the work on them to perhaps bring an older motor up to "par" i would be getting back in the game again for parts. this website lists many options so i am guessing that parts are not an issue? for pre-93 Saabs...???
There are a few things that can be tough to find, but most things are readily available and reasonable in price.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Parts are really not really an issue yet - except for oddball parts that aren't really common failures, most of the stuff is easily available for cheap.

Actually the GM900's have WORSE fuel mileage. Look it up. 1990 900 - 18/26mpg; 1995 900 - 16/23mpg (both under the new EPA system).

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
900t said:
NG 900 with sludge? Me no believe ;)
it is true, I have heard it too. Not like the 9-5 tho, thoes things auto-sludge:lol:

THe C900 can sludge too, try a leaky headgasket and don't change the oil for a year and drive around with no T-stat.

·
Registered
254 Posts
0 mpg

According to my odometer I am getting 0 miles per gallon. I must fix that thing!!:D
Seriously, I estimate I am getting in the high 20s to perhaps even 30 with my 1990 5 speed 900. (converted from autobox two years ago) .
These are great cars even if they don't get 40mpg.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've managed 38 mpg over several hundred interstate miles, with my 91 Saab SE Vert, by gently touching the loud pedal and keeping it out of Turbo boost - but, shoot, that ain't much fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cracker39 said:
I've managed 38 mpg over several hundred interstate miles, with my 91 Saab SE Vert, by gently touching the loud pedal and keeping it out of Turbo boost - but, shoot, that ain't much fun!
INCREDIBLE... yeah not really fun but incredible...and just yesterday i saw a chevy commercial bragging about the 30+ mpg their newest little "metro" will get you. no fun in that either...technology seems to be taking a step back... all this input is great everyone, thanks... :D

maybe i'll be posting in my signature a new "old" 900 here shortly. i got away from the cars due to my "dad-ness" a few years back, but ready to change all that cause hell, the kids will fit comfortably in a three door now, they are out of car seats, and i will feel safer with them in a 900 than anything else out there on the road now...

·
Registered
254 Posts
54mpg on regular gas...not for the squeamish

I have gotten 54 MPG..(small type starts here: on my son's 1992 Honda Civic with ss header, ground effect and low profile tires..Fast Speaker voice over starts here: "Mileage may vary based on where you drive, the condidtion of your son' car, and how much fun you have trying to beat your previous mileage figure. Heavily tinted rear window is required. ....not for the squeamish or weak of mind, must not drive on superhighways, or where road rage is the daily commuter sport."
Bottom line. 20yr old technology and sensible driving beats modern expensive crap. If anticipatating a crash however, please take the Saab to work that day.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I can get 36 if I keep my foot out of the turbo and drive with caution. I have checked the odometer to make sure this is not a fluke, it is only 3% off. This is a mix of interstate (65-70) and city driving. I always have used 93 octane, but will try 87 to see if it will get better (I am told it will). A new Chevy Aveo (oil drum on wheels) gets an EPA 34 Highway. The saab is SO comfortable to drive, handles so well has a lot of power, and consistantly gets milage in the 30s. I love this car. My Dodge truck gets 7.5 M.P.G., Subaru outback with the H6 3.0 gets 21, and my Chrysler minivan with all wheel drive gets 16. Ain't technology in these newer cars great? Hummm. which car do I drive most...?

I rebuilt the engine when I purchased the car from my father in law, and I have used Mobil 1 since the engine had 500 miles on it. I have put 50,000 miles on it and have consistantly gotten great milage with it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the '84 900 4dr I had averaged 30 or so until i swapped it to the synthetic. this seemed to be what brought me up to 33 - 34. presently, i don't own a car without synthetic oil in the crankcase. worth the xtra cost in my opinion. plus in these colder regions -25 deg F starts are so much easier on everything (especially starters) with synthetic. the other product i have come to appreciate, and i am not trying to be a commercial here, are the Lucas Oil additives that are available. everything i own has both, synthetic in the crankcase and Lucas in the fuel tank and crankcase as well...

yesterdays technology beats new anyday, someone needs to wake up...but that probably for another forum somewhere else...:D

·
Registered
151 Posts
My '86 900S Notchback has the BW 3spd and gets 23mpg consistently. I usually drive about 55mph for long stretches with some hills, twists, and one stop over my 25 mile daily commute.

I had an '85 SPG that got 40MPG on the way back from SOC '98 with the cruise control set at 65mph. I used that car for a lot of TSD rallies and found that the odo was off by 5% (most 900s seem to be 5%) so it actually got 38mpg. I was baffled when I drove 400 miles and could only get 10 gallons in! That car got 26-28mpg (~25-27mpg actual) regularly and 24-25 (~23-24 actual) with snow tires on.

I had an '85 900S 4dr back in the mid '90s that used to get low 30s and once got around 36-38mpg on a long trip.

·
Registered
109 Posts
why do you let your son drive a ricer?:nono; Hondas were never fast and will never be fast. all they do is annoy they heck out of everyone. I love my saab but it is just a little four banger. call me stupid but if you want speed get a camaro. :cheesy:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts