SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to look at a 1996 Saab 900 S 2-door Hatchback next week. I've never owned a Saab. The only foreign car I have owned is an Audi and I am sure they are 2 very different things.
Anyway, I am a poor student and will not be able to afford high-priced repairs if they are going to happen often. If any of you own the same type of Saab, please let me know if it's worth buying.
It has 90,000 miles and is listed almost $1,000 under blue book value.
I will have to make a 2 hour commute to see this car so it would be helpful to know if I should go on with it or perhaps look for something else.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Well this is the performance section, so I would suggest looking at a higher milage car. $1000 under kbb doesnt tell me much tho, what is the asking price?

At that milage the car is facing replacement of Alternator Ignition coil, and Fuel pump in the next 50k miles. Alternator will be the first, really soon in fact.

Another reason a higher milage car is better means that it was loved and cared for. Mine has 182k miles on it, and is it 100x better shape than any car with 90k miles.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
If you get it you'll always wish you got the turbo version (unless you finally do get the turbo version) believe me however, 1000 for a car with only 90K on the odometer is a pretty good deal and since it is naturally aspirated less things can go wrong

you should also look into getting another Audi as well Audi A4s can be found dirt cheap with about 100K on them and a nice as well

·
Registered
818 Posts
key word "poor student..."

Buy Japanesse. There must be a thousand of 'em closer than two hours away. Buy a well-loved car with all the service records, no records, run away. The Saab at 2900 bucks is not a grand under KBB, it is fully priced. I would show interest at 2,000 if it had recent work and a full service history.

A final note, if you are dependant upon paid mechanics, the Saab isn't for you. If you can turn the wrenches yourself, then maybe. Remember, no history, run away,

John

poor student thirty years later.....
1997 900S 2.3 5 speed 'vert 149K miles.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
just get an audi with 100K for 2500

·
Registered
365 Posts
yea, if you wont have a lot of cash and can't turn a wrench, then I would also say buy Japanese. Some are very reliable, and when things do go wrong, parts are cheap.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I would never buy a japanese car they are extremely overpriced and the only way you can get a low price on them is if they have a rediculous amount of miles on them. I was looking at an 1993 civic or my current saab both at $4200 (no brainer) :roll:

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Japanese car isn't always an easy out. My lil sis called in a made panic the other day regarding her camry not starting. I called Mike Saunders and RedAeroGirl in Boston and both recomended the same shop for working on it.

My sis then procedes to talk to a moron at work who tells her hold the gas pedal down and rev it for 15 minutes and it will start and stay running. She then wanted to drive it 5 hours back to upstate NY for work. My mom had SaabNazi call her and give her a well deserved lashing.

Point is, most cars regardless of age or milage will need work at some point. You can save money buying used parts, and doing work yourself but simple neglect on the owners part will cost you big time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts