SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
runs and drives, but it's not the se. for $600 with a decent body, i don't mind doing a swap on it. but before I pick this sucker up.
the se motors are really strong correct? I've got an 03ss right now, and the 900s would be for my girlfriend. she would be supplying the money for all the parts, so does the se motor bolt up to the 900s trans? it's a manual btw.

·
Registered
818 Posts
bolt up? Yes.

but the engine managment computers are different, as is wiring. All that can come from the donor car but the 2.3 liter 16 valve n/a engine is a little sweetie in my book, unless she really wants to race the ricer crowd...

My 2 cents,

John

·
Registered
511 Posts
runs and drives, but it's not the se. for $600 with a decent body, i don't mind doing a swap on it. but before I pick this sucker up.
the se motors are really strong correct? I've got an 03ss right now, and the 900s would be for my girlfriend. she would be supplying the money for all the parts, so does the se motor bolt up to the 900s trans? it's a manual btw.
S and SE motors are no different physically.
Normally S models were 185HP vs SE's 215HP, it was an intercooler and boost difference.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The manual N/A gearbox has different ratios to the turbo.

The change over is a big job.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
S and SE motors are no different physically.
Normally S models were 185HP vs SE's 215HP, it was an intercooler and boost difference.
Things might be different in the US, But over here in OZ

S model N/A-128 HP (all s models were N/A)
SE model (low pressure Turbo) 154 HP
SE model (High pressure Turbo) 185 HP
SE model (H.O.T) 200 HP

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
In the USA, the "900 S" is non turbo. The "900 SE" is a turbo.

The general advice is that it's cheaper to sell a non-turbo and buy a turbo car than it is to try to convert one. The only exception I would make would be for a really sweet non-turbo with extra low miles, then if would be worth it. There are a couple threads here or at Saablink where people converted them.

If you're into motor work, you could build the 2.3 NA motor into a 2.3 turbo. Lots of work, but you'd have a nice car when done. Do some suspension work and you've got a Viggen Jr.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I want an se but for a $600 shell I wouldn't be in the hole that much.
Does anyone have a link for 234i internals?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts