SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm obviously new to the forums here, but my story with Saab is somewhat long. I was looking for my first car, and after looking at the other offerings I really didn't care much for them. Then I saw a 2008 9-3. I loved everything about it and since then I couldn't get Saab off my mind! Then I started to see if there were SUVs since I need the space. All that was last summer.

Fast forward to this summer and I finally find one to test drive and boy was it awesome!

I start looking for some 9-7xs for sale and I come across this listing

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2006-Saab-9-7x-Luxury-SUV-W0QQAdIdZ491946362

(If the ad is taken down, for future reference it's a 2006 4.2 9-7x for $4500 with 225,000KM.)

Now, you might see the 225,000KM (139,000M for those using miles) and think I'm crazy (or you might be used to high mileage, I don't know), but I went to check it out and it looks and sounds great. Besides a bit of wear with the leather seats and the doors (and a spot of surface rust), it checked out alright. The owner took it to the shop every 5-6 months for a tuneup/clean up and all those miles are highway miles (he drove from Toronto to Florida, BC and Mexico), and frankly, for a $4500 CAD car with high mileage, it's one of the best that I've ever seen (compared to many similarly priced vehicles that look like junk tbh).

I guess a few questions would be:

- Is this too good to be true? I know you'd have to look at it, but the engine sounds phenomenal, everything checks out. He has records of anything he's done to it right back to when he purchased it (yep, single owner).

- Any problems I might encounter, at high mileage or otherwise?

- Is this the best bang for my buck? (I driving a bigger car from the 90s right now so the fuel economy is the same roughly).

- Anything better I should be looking at or can I do no wrong with a 9-7x?

- How often does the tranny go on it? How expensive is it to replace it (and any other part? I know it's based off the GMT360 so many GM bin parts would suffice...as far as I know).

- It's the 4.2. A mechanic friend of mine said that the I6 is a great engine and I'm not losing much by NOT having the V8. Is he right? Is it easier to fix the I6 or the V8?

- What's the best parts/accessories site for the 9-7 in Canada? (Southern Ontarioish to be exact)

Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
346 Posts
The 4.2 is a great engine. It doesn't have the torque that the 5.3 does, but in terms of outright speed they are both similar. They are also similar in terms of fuel economy. If you really want that one, go for it. If not, wait for a 5.3i or an Aero. I'm not sure how the options packages compared, but I know the 5.3i was fully loaded stock. Navigation was basically the only option.

Tim

·
Registered
75 Posts
Go for it! I bought a 2006 9-7x in Florida to leave there as my winter car.
Haven't driven it a lot yet but was impressed by the looks and interior finish. I also have a 2007 Cadillac STS so I was looking for something that was a little different. From reading in this and other forums, I probably will get a tune for the I6 engine which forum members say is great. By the way, that is a great price. If your concerned have a mechanic look it over, especially the AWD related components.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
I've spent a lot of time looking at the 9-7X (including this one).

First off, that is one of the best deals I have seen ... original owner, all the records, maintained ...
The only downside would be that it is the 4.2 and not the 5.3. Equipment levels are the same.

E-mail me ... I have the dealer brochure for 2006 in pdf and would be happy to send it to you.

Unless you checked it out and found it to be beat up, I would say that you really couldn't go wrong.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Here are the equipment option differences between the 4.2i and 5.3i for a 2007. They are very similar and virtually identical if the 4.2 has the Prestige package. There were not a lot of options on these cars.

4.2 - 5.3 - Item
A1 - S - Power adjustable pedals
A1 - S - Xenon high intensity discharge headlights
A1 - S - Headlamp washers

A1 = available only with Prestige package

Different wheel styles, same sizes and tires
150 A alternator on the 4.2i, 145 A on the 5.3i.

LL8 Engine, 4.2L I6 SFI
285 hp [212.5 kW] @ 6000 rpm, 276 lb-ft of torque [372.6 Nm] @ 4600 rpm
LH6 Engine, 5.3L V8 SFI with Active Fuel Management
300 hp [223.7 kW] @ 5300 rpm, 321 lb-ft of torque [433.4 Nm] @ 4000 rpm

Tim

·
Registered
699 Posts
I owned a 5.3 and drove a 4.2 for a week while the tranny in my 5.3 was being replaced.

Big difference between the two in power - I alawys felt like I was flooring the 4.2 where the 5.3 was floating and easily moved this big heavy SUV.

5.3 has oil loss issues which can be resolved at least it was for me.

4.2 is a great engine with almost no issues.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Here are the equipment option differences between the 4.2i and 5.3i for a 2007. They are very similar and virtually identical if the 4.2 has the Prestige package. There were not a lot of options on these cars.

4.2 - 5.3 - Item
A1 - S - Power adjustable pedals
A1 - S - Xenon high intensity discharge headlights
A1 - S - Headlamp washers

A1 = available only with Prestige package

Different wheel styles, same sizes and tires
150 A alternator on the 4.2i, 145 A on the 5.3i.

LL8 Engine, 4.2L I6 SFI
285 hp [212.5 kW] @ 6000 rpm, 276 lb-ft of torque [372.6 Nm] @ 4600 rpm
LH6 Engine, 5.3L V8 SFI with Active Fuel Management
300 hp [223.7 kW] @ 5300 rpm, 321 lb-ft of torque [433.4 Nm] @ 4000 rpm

Tim

While I can't speak to the mechanical differences, in Canada, there is no difference in the option listing ... you get it ALL! ;ol;

1 - 7 of 7 Posts