SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the situation; I take my 2001 95 with V-6 (about 75,000 miles) into the Saab dealer over a hundred miles away to supposedly have the terminals re soldered per Saab service bulletin for check engine light related to poor catalytic performance. Because of some scheduling issues at the dealer ship they needed to keep the car for several days and gave me a loner car to return home. Since they screwed up the appointment they offered to send a porter with our car to our home and he will bring the loner back.

Now I get a telephone call from the service advisor saying that they are going to replace the catalytic converter first to see if that clears the check engine light. OK, seems strange but since the Catalytic converter is under emissions warranty that doesn’t appear to be my problem. But then I’m told the middle muffler is corroded and should be replaced. That will cost $600.00. Now I was just under the car to change the crankshaft sensor and did a quick look around. Nothing seemed corroded, the exhaust system felt solid, but I didn’t really inspect it since I wasn’t experiencing any problems other than the light which the dealer kept insisting was a software issue, and the crank position sensor which I replaced.

I really don’t have much faith in this dealer given past problems with their service, but I can’t just drop everything and drive several hours to see for myself that the muffler is as bad as they say it is. I know its easier and faster to cut old exhaust systems apart with a gas axe or air chisel as opposed to disassembly. I know that warranty claims do not reimburse as well as customer paid repairs.

Any advise? Do people see middle mufflers going south at 75,000 miles frequently? Do you have to destroy the middle muffler to easily remove the Catalytic converter? I’ll ask for the old muffler if I agree to have it replaced but since I will be dealing with a porter hours away from the dealership I can’t see that it will make much difference.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sounds like a good chance to update the exhaust (first part of stage 2). Then all you have to do is the ECU and you have a great deal more torque from that V6.

If it were me, I would have them bring it back and buy an aftermarket catback (2.5 or 3") exhaust. You can get the whole Cat-back done for that money.

It would not be too unusual to see the middle muffler (I think it is actually a resonator) go especially if you live in a region where they salt the roads in winter.

If you are short on cash you can always get that one removed and a straight pipe welded in there (probably for less than $100). It won't turn into a scary loud exhaust sound but it will change the tone and volume a bit.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
SirElliott said:
I’m told the middle muffler is corroded and should be replaced. That will cost $600.00.
Well, the mufflers are double walled and you can pretty much lose the entire outer shell without causing any leaks. I peeled half the outer shell from my rear muffler a year ago and take a bit more every time I need to be under there. The inner shell is still perfect.

I would never put in an OEM muffler unless the quietest possible exhaust (and hang the cost) was my priority. A straight pipe for the middle oughta be fine, and way cheaper. Or a long skinny generic muffler if you want.

If it IS broken, you can put in a complete catback for the cost of an OEM center muffler.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts