SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I might have mice nesting in my Saab. I was adding windshield wiper fluid and noticed a pile of white fluffy stuff on my DIC.

I pick it up and pitch it into the garbage, noting the nice little hole in the middle... I see some stuff below... and then notice that there are seeds and stuff below. I look up, and there is a hole in black stuff (firestuff/sound deadening) right above the DIC.

Now whats worrying is that the blower motor sounds like its grinding something (little mousey maybe), and more worrying I think there are similar mouse nibbles inside the car (on the car seat where the kids spill stuff had a similar pile of stuff a couple months back, didn't make a connection then...

Anyone ever had this problem? What do you do for this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Brought my car to get serviced last year and asked the service manager if he check my blower motor because it was making a strange noise. He called me at work and said the blower motor was full of packed full of insulation.

The year before that I got rear ended and when I got out of my car there must of been 25 lbs. of lawn feed coming out of my bumper onto the street. The mice had been running it from a bag in the garage up into my bumper. I don't even want to talk about my CD's being all chewed up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just drive real fast over a real bumpy road...they should start fallin out But maybe try parking in a different spot, or cook up a mouse repellent and make like a perimeter around the car. They have those books with "natural animal repellents," to keep the neighbors cat out of your yard and stuff like that. Just look in there, find a recipe, make one of them up and see if it works!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
If they were on the DIC, they sure didn't live long. Those suckers get hot. I agree, find a place and just drive HARD to rid of them! :cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a mouse that was eating dinner on the nice warm DIC. I would open the hood and see eaten nuts laying on top. I placed a mouse trap (wooden spring type) when I parked and checked it every time I started the car. Got the bugger in a couple of days. Has not come back.

I have lots of mice here. I have gotten them in both cars and both motorcycles!

Traps work well. I have heard that moth balls are a good repellent.

Drive Safe,

joe

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Mice like to chew on rubber and use it for nests. If you have them, best to give the rubber hoses a coating of WD-40 to keep them off.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
fusionrx said:
I noticed a pile of white fluffy stuff on my DIC.
Thats quite enough smutty talk :nono;

·
Registered
236 Posts
Al's Red Wagon said:
My Biology teacher in High School mentioned this-

Put out a small bowl of instant mashed poato flakes, and then put a bowl of water next to it (near the dirver's side door)...aparently the flakes expand when they the water gets to 'em...:eek:
Haha, then we'd end up with mice that go into your AC ducts to sleep only to pop and get stuff everywhere...That would be an expensive clean up!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Al's Red Wagon said:
I think they expire at the water bowl....
And by expire, he means pop! :cheesy:

·
Registered
110 Posts
GeminiMoods said:
Just drive real fast over a real bumpy road...they should start fallin out But maybe try parking in a different spot, or cook up a mouse repellent and make like a perimeter around the car. They have those books with "natural animal repellents," to keep the neighbors cat out of your yard and stuff like that. Just look in there, find a recipe, make one of them up and see if it works!
Too funny!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Kermit said:
Just feed alka seltzer to a seagull, they can't fart so go bang instead! :nono; :roll:
Yeah, how fun is that?!

Er... Wait, I've never done that, that's cruel... :eek:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
GeminiMoods said:
That's messed up.
It's just kind of entertaining because it's so weird. The bird like flies off and then pops in mid air, it's bizarre.

G

·
Park the thing outside in wisconsin winter and those rats will freeze their butts off. Garages attract all sorts of rodents and pests. Solve the problem in the garage, then put the car back in there. I remember this happening to my parents' 80's grand marquis as a child. The pests chew through wires etc so don't leave it in there unattended. My parents had a few inconvenient breakdowns because of this problem.

It may be time for some professional help, and by the amount of rat feces that has been deposited in your car it may be for a psychiatrist and not the exterminator!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is not alot of stuff around the garage for mice to chew on. Plus its probably the fact that the car IS warm and cozy, that the mice decided NOT to freeze their butts off and make a nest there.

There was no rat/mouse feces around, just sound deadener/hood liner material.

This is the first I have heard of this happening around my area, but I am kinda rural (have forest behind house, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I may look around for a professional exterminator, but I would suspect the issue is not worth it at the moment. The other thing is that I do park outside at work so maybe thats where they are from.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I sometimes get some acorn bits on top of my DIC as well...... I did just swap my blower motor out and there were no mice leftovers.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
valbowski1980 said:
I sometimes get some acorn bits on top of my DIC
Erm............oh............:eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts