SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if there is a difference between methanol injection and methanol spray systems or if they are just different terms for the same thing. i know and understand the concept of methanol spray systems.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
idk if thats what its called im just saying is methanol injection when the intercooler gets sprayed? cause injection to me seems like its being injected into the manifold or something. not really sure.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Meth injection :cool:
Meth spray :confused:

Just remember it's poisonous if swallowed or inhaled as spray or vapour :nono;

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
You want to avoid pre-ic w/m injection or into the ic as it will settle and cause issues with condensation and corrosion!!! The ic is actually a great filter and you don't want anything injected pre ic as it will catch most or some of it and cause corrosion issues. Post-ic is the way to go and I have had great luck with my w/m injection system.

John

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im talking about spraying it onto not into the intercooler. i thought thats what it was. it sprayed and the wind super cooled the ic.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
Co2 sprayer is you want if its on the outside of the intercooler. Its will literally frost the front of the IC if you give it a good enuf spray. Uses the same kind of bottle as NOS. Its called a Cryo2 sprayer kit . I'm not sure why you would use anything else unless your spraying internally.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I thought about that and everyone hear shot me down saying it will get sucked into the intake and rob the car of oxigen. Plus you keep having to fill the bottle which = $, if I had done all else, F'ing huge IC, W/M injection, and still was on mission "keep it cool brother" I would give it a go. Aslong as I was sure the CO2 couldn't make its way into the intake. Like if I routed my air filter into the fender and had it breath through the fog light hole.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Corn Cob said:
I thought about that and everyone hear shot me down saying it will get sucked into the intake and rob the car of oxigen. Plus you keep having to fill the bottle which = $, if I had done all else, F'ing huge IC, W/M injection, and still was on mission "keep it cool brother" I would give it a go. Aslong as I was sure the CO2 couldn't make its way into the intake. Like if I routed my air filter into the fender and had it breath through the fog light hole.
I'm pretty sure alot of CO2 and NO2 sprayers are for show mainly, even out here in az, they don't last long, and even then an ice cold intercooler isn't gonna show you a huge difference if the air being taken in is hot, and also if the ic is undersized

I think alot of it has to do too with having a nitrous bottle in the car, gotta have them street points dawg.

Although heres where I have considered it for one reason, when I get stuck in traffic out here in the summer, i get heat soaked quick, even with my bigger i/c and it would be nice to have something to get ride of the heat soak in a flash

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WaSaabiPSI said:
Co2 sprayer is you want if its on the outside of the intercooler. Its will literally frost the front of the IC if you give it a good enuf spray. Uses the same kind of bottle as NOS. Its called a Cryo2 sprayer kit . I'm not sure why you would use anything else unless your spraying internally.
well ive heard of people using alcohol to spray on the intercooler. and just using there windshield washer tank to hold it. ita a cheap effective way ive heard.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Corn Cob said:
if its spraying on the intercooler how would it make its way into your intake unless the filter was like infront of the i/c?

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Yea, we have been all through this, I did both w/m on the ic and I have a co2 sprayer in the ic. I did them both on the dyno and they still lost hp each back to back run. The co2 got sucked into the intake, caused it to lean out badly and miss and lost 30bhp. You would have to make a shield like KYankton to block the air filter from sucking in the co2.

There was a test that established most of the nitrous sprayer gains were from the nitrous being sucked in the intake, not the spraying on the ic. They put the air filter away from the ic and found about 7bhp for both the co2 and nitrous sprayers...

With it near the ic and getting sucked into the intake, gains of 20-35whp were seen...;) With nitrous only, co2 causes lean conditions and a loss of hp when its sucked in the intake.

John

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mfyoung said:
I'm pretty sure alot of CO2 and NO2 sprayers are for show mainly, even out here in az, they don't last long, and even then an ice cold intercooler isn't gonna show you a huge difference if the air being taken in is hot, and also if the ic is undersized

I think alot of it has to do too with having a nitrous bottle in the car, gotta have them street points dawg.

Although heres where I have considered it for one reason, when I get stuck in traffic out here in the summer, i get heat soaked quick, even with my bigger i/c and it would be nice to have something to get ride of the heat soak in a flash
many companys claim a 20-35% cooler air charge and a 50% better working efficiency of your intercooler.i don't know how accurate those percentages are but alot of people use them. if your stuck in traffic how is spray going to help you? you have to be moving to chill the spray on the cooler rite?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Why not use water to spray your hot IC - it's cheap, plentiful, easy to handle, non toxic and best of all it is a very good (if not the best) heat absorber when it evaporates.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Like I said, I tested this on the dyno and saw no gains or help in any way. I guess on the road it might give you just a tad of help, hardly worth the trouble in my opinion and that is why I went to w/m injection in the delivery pipe, now that made a difference and I gained 39wtrq with stock sw on the dyno!

John

·
Registered
771 Posts
sweed88 said:
many companys claim a 20-35% cooler air charge and a 50% better working efficiency of your intercooler.i don't know how accurate those percentages are but alot of people use them. if your stuck in traffic how is spray going to help you? you have to be moving to chill the spray on the cooler rite?
not so much when i'm stuck in traffic, but when i finally get unstuck from traffic, besides CO2, and NO2 both spary cold on the intercooler, doesn't really have to be moving to take effect of that

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mfyoung said:
not so much when i'm stuck in traffic, but when i finally get unstuck from traffic, besides CO2, and NO2 both spary cold on the intercooler, doesn't really have to be moving to take effect of that
uh ok. by the way its N2O not NO2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sweed88, please remeber that nitous oxide, methanol & alcohol are all highly combustible chemicals which, unless you want real flames on the front of your Saab, and not painted ones, should under no circumstances be sprayed directly onto the intercooler.

Water/methanol injection should occur after I/C into the intake hoses before the turbo - see www.snowperformance.net

CryO2, if installed correctly by the professionals ( which DIY Saab owners don't want to hear ) could make a difference, especially on warm to hot days by cooling the air going through the I/C, which in turn compacts the air, shoving condensed, cool/cold air into the intake system.

A wise old man once told me to actually see a major differance on you Saab's performance, invest in a larger, increased volume I/C.

It may be expensive, but at least you are gaurenteed improved performance and that your turbo compressor blades aren't damaged by the water/methanol injection.

At the end of the day, you are the person to make the decision.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts