SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody replace the door and center console fake wood trim with the metallic trim? How hard was the install?

I'd like to get all the trim in the car metallic, and get rid of all the fake wood.

·
Registered
231 Posts
For the wood I can't say exactly but everytime I detail my car(linear) I take up the black plastic piece we have surrounding the gearbox that is in place of the Arcs wood. It is quite simple and I do this to get the little pieces of dust or whatever else settles between the grooves out. All you have to do is pull up the rubber mat past it, take it out, and then put your fingers in the 3 inch wide whole(assuming the wood is same) and gently pull out. The snap back in is a little more difficult but never really been a problem.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jesus, cars these days. Nothing is bolted in. Everything has a crapy plastic clip holding it in.

It makes it easy to assemble and repair (and hack!) things, but no wonder there are so many squaks and rattles!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I confirmed at lunch that the center console trim around the shifter just pulls right out. Nothing could be easier to replace.

The fact that Saab charges like $125 for the center console metallic trim is highway robbery. That doesn't even include the door trim.

Okay smart guys, now tell me how the door trim is removed.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh! You have to be kidding me! You need to take off the door panel, DRILL OUT THE FASTENERS, and SOLDER IN THE NEW FASTENERS?!?!

That's insane. Everything else in the car is held in by a plastic clip. Why wouldn't the door trim.

Yes, the new trim is just metallic coated plastic. It's all ball bearings and plastic these days.

·
Registered
170 Posts
wood trim???

I have an 03 vector and my interior has an aluminum colored trim in places. I dont know if its stock or not. I would prefer that to some fake wood.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
any of you guys here know how to eliminate squeeks from the $2 center console in the 07s? that console is drving me insane....

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Krieg said:
Ahh! You have to be kidding me! You need to take off the door panel, DRILL OUT THE FASTENERS, and SOLDER IN THE NEW FASTENERS?!?!

That's insane. Everything else in the car is held in by a plastic clip. Why wouldn't the door trim.
Well if it's any consolation, I think this is becoming more common. I have a VW Passat and the in-door speaker grills are "soldered" in as well. What a pain. It doesn't help that these grills will break if you look at them wrong so replacement is probably going to be an annual event.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts