SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Metallic "crunching" noise in front suspension when turning

Hi there. About 6 months ago my '89 900 EMS started making a pretty horrible loud metallic crunching noise in the suspension or driveshaft on the left hand side whenever I did a right turn, (unless it was a very, very, gentle and very, very wide turn). This was really only noticeable at the low speeds you'd use turning into a park spot, going around a roundabout or doing a u-turn. It certainly got me lots of surprised looks and raised eyebrows in the supermarket carpark. At higher speeds it doesn't happen - probably only cos you don't turn the steering wheel anywhere near as much when travelling at speed in a relatively straight line. (Well I don't anyhow!)

The sound is quite torturous, but nothing ever fell off, and oddly, for a period of about a month it actually stopped doing it. Some months ago my mechanic whipped the wheel off and had a quick look but could not see anything obvious. The car has sat idle since then but I now want to get stuck into it, fix whatever it is and start driving again.

Any suggestions what it might be? I can only it's think something in the suspension or a CV issue, but I don't want to end up with the car in more bits than necessary to find out. Are there clues I can look for to zero in on the problem, or a logical way to eliminate any usual suspects for this in a C900?

It's worth mentioning that there is NO noise like this whatsoever, from the left or right hand side when driving under any other conditions.

Could this be ball joints?????

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Maybe some simple bushes?

I have this issus but it nothing to make me worry.

I will get under there one day.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the ideas folks. I've let this one sit in the back of my mind the past couple of weeks while doing a few other things to get her back on the road.

I'm thinking it's either stuffed bushes, or a loose ball joint, based on the tortured metal-slipping-on-metal "graunching" (one of my old man's very apt words) sound it makes. I've got a distant memory of a similar sound occurring on a 70s model Volvo I once had which turned out to be a loose ball joint.

Having had several front wheel drive cars in the past it sounds nothing like any knackered CV sounds I've ever heard. It just sounds too much like suspension.. ...............and I'd rather not imagine it's steering-related.

Anyhow, I'll soon have the time and patience to stick my head under the car and will be sure to report back what it is.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have a plan so cunning...

.... you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Car is due for annual inspection (like the pommy MOT), so I just realised... why not let them work out where the problem is?? ;) heh heh

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
There may be one minor flaw in this masterpiece ;) . I've been through two pommy MOT's at different stations which I passed with no problems. Both completely failed to pick up the badly worn driveshaft with no grease in it that caused a horrendous metallic graunching / squealing noise when pulling away in too high a gear.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, yes indeed....thanks for the heads-up. Well, perhaps I'll hide Baldrick in there making crunch, crunch, graunch sounds in the hope they go looking. In any case, I'll be sure to report back on Monday. :p

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jezzadee... think the mechanic must've read your post! :evil: Passed with just a comment that I might like to keep an eye on some leaking from around the crankcase seal (surprise, surprise) and "slight clicking in LHS driveshaft".

Now, I don't know about you, but a series of big crunches that makes people 2km away involuntarily sit bolt upright and spill their coffee down their fronts is not what I call a click.

Bottom line - my cunning plan didn't work so I'll be disassembling and inspecting things one logical step at a time and introducing myself to the new and wonderful world of c900 front suspensions and driveshafts. I know where I'll be this weekend. ;)

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
silversaab96 said:
I'll be...introducing myself to the new and wonderful world of c900 front suspensions and driveshafts. I know where I'll be this weekend. ;)
That's exactly what I was doing this weekend!

If you're going to start removing parts so you can get to the driveshaft, I strongly recommend you invest in a 2ft breaker bar. Some of the nuts down there are seized up, and using a breaker bar makes releasing them much easier.

Lashing nuts and bolts in dismantling lubricant for a couple of days beforehand is also a very good idea.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Matt!

A bottle of Penetrene to soak rusty siezed components with? $5.00

An indestructible 2ft torque wrench (that doesn't torque) bought at the weekend market? $10.00

A weekend of swearing, barked knuckles and the attainment of higher knowledge? Priceless

1 - 10 of 10 Posts