SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Metal Mesh on my flex pipe (v6) has gone bad. I wonder if this could be the reason for loud exhaust. It seems like there is a pipe under the mesh, so I do not think bad mesh could be so noisy?

Any thought?

Regards,
Alex

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The flex pipe has a corrugated solid metal section on the inside, and mesh on the outside. One or the other can fail first, but if the solid corrugated section inside the mesh has gone, it will be loud regardless if the mesh is intact or not. The corrugated piece generally will crack/split where it flexes the most, along one of the ridges.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you redrum!

So I guess I have to pull mesh and have a closer look at corrugated (new english word for me) solid metal section?

Do you know what is the purpose of metal mesh? Protection of corrugated solid metal section?

Regards,
Alex

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The mesh provides support to the flex joint, allowing only controlled movement. It also protects the thinner internal piece from mild impacts, etc. Once either component has failed its only a matter of time before it completely lets go and you have a very loud, separated exhaust. I'm not sure how the exhaust components are laid out on the V6, but the joints themselves can be purchased and welded in by a competent muffler shop if the whole section is too expensive to replace.

Example:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-642210-1

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again redrum!

In V6 the flex pipe is a part of header pipe. The header pipe is about $170 AFT.

Your link is helpfull, I will try to explore this route.

The only concern is that welded part might make some noises and whistles (I got this from this forum). I guess I have to fund a good shop for it.

Regards,
Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts