SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

I just got once this afternoon the SID message: 'Coolant low. Refill.'
That moment I was on a road going up on a hill but not really steep. I was surprised since I had a service of the car 4 months ago and everything looked fine (maybe this liquid hasn't been checked). I read in these forums a very old thread on this subject and was referring to the small tank with the red liquid. I haven't opened to check at all for the moment. If this is the tank is an obvious one and I remember it was half (i have to recheck).
Returning back home I didn't get the message again but I know it can come up any time (except if it was a false alarm). Should I wait to see what happens? Because I was thinking tomorrow already to take it at the garage for refilling if needs to (I hope it doesn't cost much:)
I don't know how urgent is this thing and If I should worry about.

If there is something I can check myself and it's easy to do please let me know.
Thank you!

·
Registered
397 Posts
The warning level is pretty sensitive. If the coolant tank (the red liquid) get below about the 1/2 way full mark on the tank AND you park on a hill it will trigger. Maybe it looked fine during service. Get some Dexcool 50/50 mixture at Advance Auto or something and bring it back to a little more the 1/2 full. You should be fine - easy fix.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i didn't really park. Truth is that the last 4-5 days I've been driving quite long distances and I've been to steeper hills than the one tonight. Just for making sure I check the right tank...where exactly the coolant tank is located? I can see one tank with red fluid (very obvious to see).
I wish is not anything more serious like tank leakage etc...

It is something I have to atke immediate action, right? Actually when I got the message on SID I was like 'oh, no. should i stop the car and see what to do or it gives me some credit in time?..' :):)

·
Registered
916 Posts
The SID told you what needs to be done - Add Coolant. It's as simple as that. Over time and heat through use, coolant can slowly evaporate [it's mixed with water ;)]. Topping it off a couple times a year is fairly normal, especially with a level sensor as sensitive as the ones in these cars.

Dexcool or pre-mixed 50/50 Dexcool (the red fluid you see in the coolant reservoir) is the only fluid to use. Top it off and things will be back to normal. If it tells you to add coolant again within a couple weeks, then it might be time to start looking for leaks. Until then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The message was shown during taking a corner?

One thing, check the top end that's visible and it's in the hose, usually breaks. Be careful, if you check the deposit you will see the coolant it leaks from there, if you move slightly the hose you will listen how it leaks also the air there.

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts