SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Read this thread, I know there are a bunch of threads about mesh grilles, but help!

I just looked through all the threads about mesh grilles for our cars in a search. All the threads I found were from early '04 and hadnt seen any updates lately on the grilles. I was just wondering if anyone has heard about any aftermarket grille inserts that have been made? Sorry for the repetativness in threads, I just need some answers that didnt come from any of my searches.

I dont really want to tamper with my car because I have experienced what it is like to do self customizations and it usually ends up being really frustrating. I really want a mesh grille because that stock black plastic just isnt cuttin for a person who loves to customize his ride.

Any details folks? If not, looks like Im gonna have quite an adventure ahead of me :cheesy:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ive been experimenting with a 95 Aero grille off a 2003 model which i picked up really cheap. its constructed exactly the same way as the grille on our cars. I will post some photos when I get home. looks good (in my opinion anyway), just have not got round to tackling the job on my car yet.

As far as I know there are no mesh grille kits for the 93 ss yet, but I do know of a guy in the UK who produces them in stainless steel mesh for the 95. If there was enough interest I am sure he would produce something similar for the 93 ss.

The only other commercially available kits Ive seen for the 93ss have not been mesh, bit "chrome" (plastic stick on strips) that use double sided tape to secure them to the slats of the grille.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Dave N said:
The only other commercially available kits Ive seen for the 93ss have not been mesh, bit "chrome" (plastic stick on strips) that use double sided tape to secure them to the slats of the grille.
These are widely available on eBay... not something I ever thought would improve the looks of the car. I have only seen it done on ancient BMW316i's that the driver wants to appear more opulent than it's base model origins.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
actually they do make a mesh grille for our car but apparently only in sweeden at the moment if u get the stage three upgrade in comes with it. I'll look and find the link I have been trying to find one as well , but the US is always the last place to find new saab parts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
here's one link to a car with a mesh grille

http://www.allapprovedcars.com/Used...CarDetails.aspx

I'm not sure if u have searched uder mesh grille on the site a bunch of different home made ones pop up I think it may depend on the color of your car how it will look. I have a silver car and it probably wouldn't look to good unless it was black but I have seen a red and black 93 with mech grilles and both looked pretty good.
http://www.garaget.org/?car=73
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48715&highlight=mesh+grille scroll through that thread there's a killer red one? I want to know more about this 95 grille if u could post those photos?
here's another home made job
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32771&highlight=mesh+grille
home made instruction manual two of them
1. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31885&highlight=mesh+grille

2. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31052&highlight=mesh+grille

Thats all I got for now you have probably seen all of these all ready and I apologize if so, if you find out how to get of one please let me know.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm too bad there arent any inserts yet... I was hoping I wouldnt have to do it myself, but I guess I will. I really want to do this because I think it makes the front end look much more aggressive. The grill thats in there right now is just too cheap looking for these cars, needs something more.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave N said:
Here are some (poor quality, sorry) pictures of my experiment with meshing a 95 grille. the 95 grille is constructed identically to the 93 ss grille.

http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/mesh-grille-experiment
Wanted to try it first before ripping the front off my car!
Looks good. How hard was it to put the mesh behind the Saab "wings" logo? Yeah Im skeptical about pulling out the grille inserts also, I dont want to screw anything up.

Im thinking about buying some of this mesh http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=29_68&products_id=2482

Its just about the perfect size I want, but Im going to look around for some thats similar before I order some.

I really want to put mesh grille all over the front, not only on the grille inserts, also on the bottom lip opening. Wonder if anyone else has done this...

·
Registered
413 Posts
You need to be careful separating the chromed plastic from the black grille. Most likely you will break some of the clips. No major problem as you can always glue them back once you've finished. (i assume you wont be taking the mesh off on a regular basis!).

If you look at your grille, you will see that the chrome sits flush with the black plastic where it joins. What I did was remove both the surround and the "wings". I used masking tape then and carefully applied it around the inner edge of the black grille, following the line that the chrome trim takes. Masking tape is stretchy enough to follow the curves. I f its too tight a turn just use several small pieces laid over each other to get the shape.

I then did the same around where the "wings" would fit.

I then simply used more masking tape in strips to join every thing up into a single template. once this was done i laid it onto the mesh. as its self adhesive, you don’t need to worry about it moving about. You then need some tin snips to cut around the outside. The inner wing cut-out is a little trickier, and I used a dremel with a cutting wheel to get started, because the ends close down too small to use tin snips. Once all of the cutting is complete, peel off the masking tape template and offer up the mesh cut out shape to the black grille. You should be able to see any edges that need trimming back to the joint line. I used a small pair of wire cutters to do this fine trimming. If your using aluminium mesh they work fine. Don’t know if they would be man enough to deal with stainless steel mesh though. Anyway once you are satisfied everything lines up (don’t forget to check and trim if necessary around where the wings fitting will go also) clip the chrome surround back on. This should just grip the mesh enough to hold it. once you are satisfied with that, push the wings trim back on also. The Saab badge clips into the black grille through the wings trim. You may need to glue this in place depending on how thick the mesh is you are using. Finally glue any clips you broke in the dismantling process!

The grille will simply now click back into the hole in the front of the car. The two side grilles are done exactly the same way, but are easier as there is no central trim piece to complicate matters. Just make sure you lay them all out on the mesh in one go, that way the line of the mesh will follow through all three grilles.

Once you’ve done all that, stand back with a cold one in your hand and give admiring glances to your handy work.

Karnifex - you can get this mesh almost anywhere, no need to buy it in from the UK.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JWLANKY said:
This a a picture of the mesh grill that SaabCity are fitting to their 'Special reserve' models:
Im glad to see that on a silver Aero, now I know what it would look like on mine.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I'm not to keen. I think it makes the car look unbalanced. The lower air intake grill needs doing aswell - but i think it would look a bit OTT.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JWLANKY said:
I'm not to keen. I think it makes the car look unbalanced. The lower air intake grill needs doing aswell - but i think it would look a bit OTT.
Your very right about that, if I were to do it, I planned on doing the lower lip opening as well. Im still on the fence about it though.

I kind of like this grille

The only reason I want to change the grille is because I think the black plastic is just too plain and bland. I want something to make the front end a little more solid. The chrome grille looks nicer than the stock grille in my opinion, kind of gives it a billet grille look.

·
Registered
102 Posts
vectorX said:
actually they do make a mesh grille for our car but apparently only in sweeden at the moment if u get the stage three upgrade in comes with it. I'll look and find the link I have been trying to find one as well , but the US is always the last place to find new saab parts
Who makes it?
I haven´t heard of anyone making mesh grilles for SportSedans here in Sweden.

Hirsch will not come out with a mesh grille, like the one for 9-5, for the SS.

·
Registered
462 Posts
JWLANKY said:
This a a picture of the mesh grill that SaabCity are fitting to their 'Special reserve' models:
That is one sweet looking grille. Any word on if they sell the part separately? If so, how much and do they ship to the colonies?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
strat81 said:
That is one sweet looking grille. Any word on if they sell the part separately? If so, how much and do they ship to the colonies?
No doubt, that would be killer.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Cojoroh said:
i'm thinking about giving this a try. i'm not sure exactly which mesh i want to go with. in the following link, i'm thinking about c or d
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-FT-UNIVERSAL-CAR-DIAMOND-MESH-GRILLE-GRILL-KIT-SAL-D_W0QQitemZ7994578076QQcategoryZ36475QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i really like the look of the cts-v grille...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/478000-478999/478170_74_full.jpg

opinions please!
I agree c and d look the best. However, you can probably score this stuff much cheaper at a hardware store or fence company.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts