SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to get my trim and door handles painted today at a local bodyshop and they refused to do the job saying that our weather differs too much and that the paint would chip. Where I live gets to 40 degrees celsius in the summer and -40 degrees celsius in the winter. I told him that I have seen many cars with the painted trim in places with similar weather conditions and he didn't believe me and said that the paint will chip and wear off. Is he right or are the some members around whose paint has held up in similar conditions?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one? I really need some replies to this! Any info will help!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Easy man it was only two hours between your posts ha. Anyways, its bs. If they are a good shop and prep and paint correctly then weather is not an issue. Thats like saying your car paint will chip where you live because of the weather? WTF? If the surface is prepped well and cleared well it won't chip. I didn't put enough clear on mine so I did get chips because of road conditions. As long as you put enough clear on to protect the paint you'll be fine. I'm not sure about the handles tho. They see a lot of use and slap against each other when you let go and all. Possible they could chip but again, good prep and clear you should be fine. Find somewhere else and ask them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Easy man it was only two hours between your posts ha. Anyways, its bs. If they are a good shop and prep and paint correctly then weather is not an issue. Thats like saying your car paint will chip where you live because of the weather? WTF? If the surface is prepped well and cleared well it won't chip. I didn't put enough clear on mine so I did get chips because of road conditions. As long as you put enough clear on to protect the paint you'll be fine. I'm not sure about the handles tho. They see a lot of use and slap against each other when you let go and all. Possible they could chip but again, good prep and clear you should be fine. Find somewhere else and ask them.
How many coats of clear did you put on yours? I decided to paint mine myself and it wasn't as big an ordeal as I originally expected. You were most definitely right about prep prep prep. I went through wax and ish removal, sanded all the pieces, washed, denaturalized alcohol on them, washed again, put on adhesion promotor, 2 coats of flex primer, and my paint is going to arrive in the mail today. It wasn't bad at all. I got enough paint for 4 coats of base color(nocturne blue) and just figured the same in clear. Do you think that is decent?

saabhutter: When I went to get a quote the guy told me that it just wasn't possible to paint those pieces. After some talking he said he could paint them but wouldn't warrantee the work. For the $1,200 he quoted I wanted some assurance that was going to last. I did my research and have done everything recommended and I think total cost was something like $106 for everything I needed. I would find some other place or just make it a DIY project. Either way, good luck!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I had about 3-4 coats on mine. Everything is fine except the front trim pieces. Those need a lot of protection because of road debris. I would probably use the clear coat from the company you bought and put as many coats on as you can with the paint. One can of spray was enough to do 4-5 coats on all the trim I think? I don't remember.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts