SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2001 9-3 with a tuned B204.5R. I pulled the spark plugs and noticed the gaping was less than stock on all of them. Is this a sign that I melted them? should I be checking the pistons now?

·
Super Moderator
1,903 Posts
Tuned cars typically run a slightly tighter plug gap than stock to prevent misfires anyway. If the engine runs fine, your pistons are likely fine as well.

·
Registered
18,375 Posts
How tuned? HP? Like Josh said, .9mm is the usual preferred gap for most of us. Stock is 1.0 or 1.1.

I'd guess your pistons are fine, but run a compression test with a hot engine if you have concerns. Wet/dry. FWIW - unless you're running very high HP, the pistons are usually fine. A bad MAF can burn them or the valve though... so it might be worth replacing it if you never have - especially with a tune.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Always compression test and smoke test first . If compression is not good and equal across the cylinders then do a leak down to establish where the issue is , valves or pistons. . Smoke test for leaks. If good on all fronts diagnose further. The spark plugs center porcelain will show silver specs under a magnifying glass and / or the ground electrode will be closed up or gone missing. Hope for the best

1 - 8 of 8 Posts