SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think Megasquirt kits are now being sold for much more than they were before?

I seem to remember Megasquirt kits only costing a nominal amount... i.e. the cost of components + a few quid for the trouble... has something changed? Seems to be $275 for the latest 'kit' now - that's a whole bunch of components you have to solder together by yourself?

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
The cost of MS has risen as the design's become more complex. The processor they're using for MS2 is more expensive, for example.

It's going to get more expensive too as they move towards surface-mount PCBs. Such boards will be beyond DIY and will be supplied pre-built only.

Still, in ultimate form, you'll get a state of the art EMS with precision wideband controller, CAN bus, ion sense, versatile IO and all the other features... for less than a competitor's baseline product.

But yeah, I think they have become more expensive. Still a bargain though.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just wondering... Does MS only work for Saabs and Volvos that use the Lucas? ecu? Or can they be used on things like Skylines?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Ejenner, $140 for a DIY kit and $240 for assembled kit, for MS1 2.2 isn't bad now is it? That price has done nothing but declined the last few years. ( www.diyautotune.com ) Naturally a newly developed kit will cost more...
Daniel.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
****** said:
Just wondering... Does MS only work for Saabs and Volvos that use the Lucas? ecu? Or can they be used on things like Skylines?
You could fit it to a lawnmower if you really wanted to.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
If you stick with MS1 its pretty cheap, I paid 275 pounds for a prebuilt MS1 v3 unit which worked out of the box, with the ms1-extra code and all needed hardware mods. I don't particularly like the way MS3 is going, but MS1 can be upgraded to MS2 so its a good route I think.
You keep going on about DI+APC but not everyone is going to get the parts for free, and you haven't been able to remap it yet, which is half the fun as far as I'm concerned. I've got full control over the MS system, can dial in any boost I want, and theres so many people creating cool addons for it - like palm pilot software for datalogging and tuning without a laptop. DI can be integrated to MS1, and I think its a bit easier on MS2.

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
So the main point of Megasquirt is it's DIY, ye they're going over to SMT (surface mount technology) which is too fiddly to be within the DIY skills of the average joe, who could with a bit of practice solder normal components.

Huh? :confused:

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
nutcase said:
So the main point of Megasquirt is it's DIY, ye they're going over to SMT (surface mount technology) which is too fiddly to be within the DIY skills of the average joe, who could with a bit of practice solder normal components.

Huh? :confused:
The fitting, wiring, mapping etc is still all DIY, though.

After all, the assembly's the relatively boring bit - and there's always been people selling pre-built MS boxen.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
i need to gather all the bits, and find a freindly, fellow c900head that has done the refit on their car... so that they can do mine ;)

G

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
drg23 said:
i need to gather all the bits, and find a freindly, fellow c900head that has done the refit on their car... so that they can do mine ;)
If you're starting from an injected car, you don't really need to do that much bit-gathering, just wiring then mapping. I don't see it as a scary thing compared to trying to convert a carb'd car - if/when I do get round to doing one of the 2cvs, I'm going to have to be modifying manifolds, fuel rails, fitting throttle body...

THAT's where the fun kicks in...

Mind you, the CPU on my box seems to have wiped itself/died, so it's been stuck in a jiffy bag for the last couple of years...

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
G: I'm looking at making a harness adapter for the lucas loom connector -> megasquirt. For this, I need lucas ecu connectors ( ecu side ).
If you can source cheap lucas ecu's ( presumably broken ones would be cheaper ), let me know and you can have the first one :)
There would still be a separate cable run for the ignition side of things, but I should be able to sort that by obtaining busted bosch ignition modules, much easier than getting lucas ecu's.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Well, I think you'd always be able to get DIY-kits, not only with SMD-components. MS1 vers 2.2 can do practically all you want. As for DI-ignition, I think saabers get too hung up on using DI as coils... Using a Bosch ignition-coil like this one:
http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/pdf/components/ignition_coils/2x2.pdf
and a dual ignition-module like bosch 0 227 100 200 (or hella http://www.refako.dk/product_info.p...8&products_id=1-4005DA 006 623-60100212183798 )
will give you wasted spark pretty darn easy! 2 ignition-output needed (just solder 4 LED-legs together, practically) and a bit of setting up... Along with a 36-1 triggerwheel and a sensor, but you will need that anyway, going for DI-ignition, instead of modding the standard triggerwheel...
Daniel.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I am diverting slightly with my ECU for 'project turbo killer', i will use the MS for the EMS to control spark only, as i already have the bits.
I will be using a Magneti Marelli 8P ECU, which costs about £20 and a modified loom from the Peugeot it came from and then getting it remapped, which will give me the same results as MS, but a little bit cheaper.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
ejenner said:
I guess you've got a good deal on the 'mapping' - or else having an ECU mapped professionally would eaisly come out more expensive.
It's not too expensive :cheesy: .

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
philb said:
Yep - what if you change something on the car, and want to take advantage of it.
This is true, but what would i change?
I am fitting throttle bodies, cam, exhaust, big valve head, i don't envisage that there is anything i would change.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts