SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As in the header: Megan racing advertises one spring model for all 9-3 cars. Anyone attempted to install them on a vert? As I understand the weight ditribution on a vert is different than on other 9-3....

Thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
I also have the vert. Can't speak for Megan but I do know we have stiffer springs then the sedan. H&R (and Hirsch) actually have a spring set specifically for the cabrio. I would play it safe and go with something that fits the cabrio specifically.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have the vert. Can't speak for Megan but I do know we have stiffer springs then the sedan. H&R (and Hirsch) actually have a spring set specifically for the cabrio. I would play it safe and go with something that fits the cabrio specifically.
Thanks buddy. This is what I am afraid of even though Megan claims their springs are suitable for all 9-3's. They look really tempting considering can be had for about $90 (ebay store) as opposed to $240 (tire rack). I wonder if the OEM/H&R springs are stiffer as a precaution as overtuning of the vehicle is much dangerous in a vert than in a sedan or is it because the weight distibution differrence between the sedan and vert is so big...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Probably due to the extra weight of the vert. Eveb the SAAB factory roadholding kit which I just got, has a different part # for the vert. Eibach, for instance, specifies their springs are only for the sedan. Does it really matter? I can't say.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably due to the extra weight of the vert. Eveb the SAAB factory roadholding kit which I just got, has a different part # for the vert. Eibach, for instance, specifies their springs are only for the sedan. Does it really matter? I can't say.

Yeah, I think I am going to go with H&Rs then....
By the way: OEM roadholding kit? What does it consist of? What is the part number and where did you get it? I think my car is the same as your and I am not happy with its handling...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Coming from tuner car land, springs matched to specific cars DO matter.

For instance in Subarus, springs for WRX wagons vers sedans are different not only due to the wider track of the sedan vers the wagon, but to compensate for the increased weight of the hatchback. Many people who tried to put sedan (say STI for instance) springs on their wagons suffered from "saggy butt syndrome." However, its more than just aesthetics that are affected.

Since verts and combis have increased weight over the SS, albeit in different places, handling will be affected if a spring rate isn't tailored for the specific model's weight characteristics. In short, your car could handle wrong at best, or be downright dangerous.

Be wary of any manufacturer that tries to sell "one size fits all" springs, as it shows they haven't spent the time to properly tune the spring to the car in question.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Here it is. I got this from thesaabsite.com. It is 4 springs, shocks, and struts and included mounting hardware. Shipping was something ridiculous like $10.

SPORT CHASSIS CV12803089 $517.14
This is for auto tranny.

JZ, yes I agree, which is why I went with factory parts.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
hr and eibach use a much better material for their springs megan uses a cheap material so they are easier to break, and most likely start to sag over time as well as rust. my input :D

·
Registered
830 Posts
hr and eibach use a much better material for their springs megan uses a cheap material so they are easier to break, and most likely start to sag over time as well as rust. my input :D

If you have the facts, post them so we can believe you and avoid buying Megan. Otherwise, it's just another opinion... unless you have drastic knowledge an experience in all 3 spring manufacturer materials.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
If you have the facts, post them so we can believe you and avoid buying Megan. Otherwise, it's just another opinion... unless you have drastic knowledge an experience in all 3 spring manufacturer materials.
i dont have a darastic knowlage but i figure if both eibach and h&r both very well sought companys use ISO9001 in there springs where as megan uses SAE 9254. now im not saying megan is not a poor quality product, but i trust h&r and eibach's experience. its like going to the store and getting store brand and getting name brand ones pricer but it come knowing that it will either be better or last longer. i mean h&r does suspension devolpment for VW, and eibach does suspension for both nascar and f1 series. where as megan only does small devolpment in the drift field.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Here it is. I got this from thesaabsite.com. It is 4 springs, shocks, and struts and included mounting hardware. Shipping was something ridiculous like $10.

SPORT CHASSIS CV12803089 $517.14
This is for auto tranny.

JZ, yes I agree, which is why I went with factory parts.
Cool, this will likely be a nice upgrade. I was surfing that site, and I couldn't find any sport chassis kits per se. Did you piece together the parts, or is there a link somewhere to a complete kit?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Saab 9-3 Roadhandling Kit (OEM)

Cool, this will likely be a nice upgrade. I was surfing that site, and I couldn't find any sport chassis kits per se. Did you piece together the parts, or is there a link somewhere to a complete kit?
You can find your part number at the website below:

http://94.236.35.168/saab-93-ss-m03/suspension-system/index.76_551.html (saabcentral censored the link, hence the numerical IP of the website instead of the full URL.. Unbelievable!)

Choose Saab Roadholding Kit from the menu on the right, find the item corresponding to your trim and MY, copy SAAB part number and then plug it in the part number search window at the top of the http://www.thesaabsite.com page.

Altenatively you can buy from the UK retailer directly (can't mention its name in this forum!) from the first link but the pound to dollar conversion and shipping charges will kill you...

I am too going with OEM parts - I have one more year of extended warranty (CPO) left on my vehicle...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the Reindeer Parts link. Weird how every roadholding kit is either 03-05, or 06. Thats it, end of story. What about 07+? I think the B207 Manual Sportcombi chassis from the 06 would be what I need... but theres no way to be sure.

Hmmm. I really want a firmer Saab, maybe a local mechanic knows whats up...

·
Registered
830 Posts
i dont have a darastic knowlage but i figure if both eibach and h&r both very well sought companys use ISO9001 in there springs where as megan uses SAE 9254. now im not saying megan is not a poor quality product, but i trust h&r and eibach's experience. its like going to the store and getting store brand and getting name brand ones pricer but it come knowing that it will either be better or last longer. i mean h&r does suspension devolpment for VW, and eibach does suspension for both nascar and f1 series. where as megan only does small devolpment in the drift field.
I'm not trying to disagree with you, and I'm glad you posted that. Was just attempting discussion.

I'm very unhappy with my Megan Springs because the Rubber liner has completely worn off and the springs are completely rusted after only 1 winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.