SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, i'm a new member, owned a 1998 900se convertible, auto transmission, 100k miles for about 6 years. The car was my granddad's, passed it on to me when he died, lots of sentimental value. I used to drive it a ton, mechanical issues been piling up to the point it's been garaged mostly the last two years.

I'm finally in a position to get it fixed up, no rush or timeline so I can leave it at a shop for a while.

Anyone know of a good mechanic in the Akron/canton area? Or does anyone have any comments or reviews on any of these shops I found from saabsite:

Cartel auto in Akron
The Sweedish Solution in orange village outside Cleveland
Larch mere imports in cleveland

I'm not mechanically inclined, but have basic car knowledge and would guess these are the main issues:

1. Turbo is toast I think, car has lost all power. Engine needs tune up
2. Transmission has issues but works ok.
3. Needs brakes/rotors
4. Suspension needs evaluation
5. Needs new convertible top
6. Conv motor working with some glitches
7. Could use vlobal fluid flush since been sitting
8. Minor electrical glitches(remote entry doesn't work)

The good things:
Still runs!
Little to no rust
I can afford to fix it!

My main goal is to get it back where I can drive it 2 times a week, more in summer obvi, on the highway, back roads, long distances... Not looking for complete restoration, just make it solid again.

Any guidance or tips will be much appreciated!

Adam

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Hi there, i'm a new member, owned a 1998 900se convertible, auto transmission, 100k miles for about 6 years. The car was my granddad's, passed it on to me when he died, lots of sentimental value. I used to drive it a ton, mechanical issues been piling up to the point it's been garaged mostly the last two years.

I'm finally in a position to get it fixed up, no rush or timeline so I can leave it at a shop for a while.

Anyone know of a good mechanic in the Akron/canton area? Or does anyone have any comments or reviews on any of these shops I found from saabsite:

Cartel auto in Akron
The Sweedish Solution in orange village outside Cleveland
Larch mere imports in cleveland

I'm not mechanically inclined, but have basic car knowledge and would guess these are the main issues:

1. Turbo is toast I think, car has lost all power. Engine needs tune up - This could be lots of things, most of them cheaper than the turbo
2. Transmission has issues but works ok. I don't know anything about Saab autoboxes
3. Needs brakes/rotors - This is a DIY'er. Brakes are very simple and easy to do. Pads and rotors will cost a few hunded though.
4. Suspension needs evaluation - The suspension is marginal from the factory, so you might not have any really serious issues here.
5. Needs new convertible top
6. Conv motor working with some glitches - This is an expensive system to diagnose and repair. You may require a Tech 2 to get full diagnosis and repair, so if you decide to find a good indy mech, try to get one with the Tech 2 and Candi box.
7. Could use vlobal fluid flush since been sitting - DIY'er made very easy if you have a vacuum fluid extractor. A good tool to invest in.
8. Minor electrical glitches(remote entry doesn't work) - New battery. Remote unlock microswitches inside fail too. You can get used ones here in SC classifieds and on E-bay. They must be reprogrammed with Tech 2 to work on your car.

The good things:
Still runs!
Little to no rust
I can afford to fix it!

My main goal is to get it back where I can drive it 2 times a week, more in summer obvi, on the highway, back roads, long distances... Not looking for complete restoration, just make it solid again.

Any guidance or tips will be much appreciated!

Adam
Message too short.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts